_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Tips for shooting figures - Help!!
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 576 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 09:37 AM UTC
OK, I have been getting better at shooting good close-ups of my models using my zoom feature and the correct focal length in relation to the subject. However, I am having trouble getting good closeups of my figures, I want to show-off some of my oil painting progress but no matter what, I can't get sharp closeups. Too close, and it blurs. Get far enough back to get clear and you can't see detail. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 10:48 AM UTC
Does your camera have a macro-zoom function or lens setting?

This is critical for doing close-up shots.

Jim
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 10:58 AM UTC
Jim's right, macro is essential for closeups. Look for a button or scroll through the menu to find an icon of a stylized flower. Switch that on for macro (close up) focussing. You should be able to get up very close withthat. It may not function all that well with the zoom function, however, so set you zoom to the widest anlge possible. You may need to disable the flash so either use diffused sunlight, not direct sunlight, the effects are too harsh or set up 2-3 directional desk lamps to illumionate yuou subject. Use a back drop, neutral gray if you don't have spot metering, or another complementary color if you do.
If yo must use you zoom, get as close as possible for the max zoom. Move back and forth to get the best focus.
If you're not using a digital, you'll need either a lens with a macro setting, a set of magnifyiing filter-like lenses to add to the front of your normal lens or a set of extension tubes tha go between the camera body and the lens.
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 11:05 AM UTC
Thanks, yes, I have a macro setting (flower) and that is what I am using. I will post some examples shortly.

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 11:09 AM UTC
also try a tripod, and the self timer.....
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 11:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

also try a tripod, and the self timer.....

Thanks, I am doing both of those also. You can see what I am talking about here in this thread. This seems to be the best that I can do with my camera.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/40800&page=1

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 11:55 AM UTC
OK, pictures aren't that bad....
besides using the little flower setting, and tripod and self-timer, try using a different back ground. Now don't laugh but for a close up, and auto focus to work, you really do want to try to limit the options the auto focus has to focus on. Oh and you have to read the book that came with the camera..... it should tell you the range of the micro lens. Too close and you will always be out of focus. So if it only goes down to say 6 inches..... at 5 inches you really are expecting it to do something it can't do. I use to make the same mistake.... until I started measuring.... my micro setting only goes down to 6 inches from the object. Once I started staying over 6 inches, they started turning out better.
I'm no expert, but also learned by trial and error...... and am still learning.
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 11:59 AM UTC
:-) Gotcha! I normally use a backdrop but for these quick shots I didn't. I didn't know it made that much difference but your point makes a lot of sense. I will try again.

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 04:45 PM UTC
What kind of camera do you have? If it's a full auto compact digital you are probably right and you're just hitting the wall in terms of what the camera can provide.

Jim
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 06:42 PM UTC
When I was shopping for a digital camara, most of the camaras had a ready light. Now this is on mine and most others i had looked at. Now what i have to do is when i'm ready to take the picture while looking through the camara screen, I press the shutter button half way down to set the exposure. When the ready light glows green I fully press the shutter button completely down to take the picture. If the ready light turns a orange red i'm to close.
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Friday, December 03, 2004 - 04:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What kind of camera do you have? If it's a full auto compact digital you are probably right and you're just hitting the wall in terms of what the camera can provide.

Jim

Yeah, that is what I have, although a good one. I am afraid you may be right. That I am at the limits of the camera. Thanks for making me feel bad!

:-) :-)
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, December 03, 2004 - 08:04 AM UTC
adapt and overcome..... keep saying it over and over...... :-) :-) :-) my little old camera is going to continue getting used and older......... besides photoshop works for sharping images.... and lightening them, and resizing them to the proper size for the site.
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2004 - 05:09 PM UTC
adapt and overcome /starting to sound like a Jayhead Grumpy.

Set you image on you camera to it's larger setting that why when you are in focus range you still have a decent sizt photo after cropping.
 _GOTOTOP