_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Crowood Press
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 06:45 PM UTC
I came across some books published by Crowood Press this morning (see this post). Curiousity got me and I found the Crowood Press website and found some really great titles under the Military History link.

Has anyone bought/read any of their publications? Opinions? Anyone ordered online from them? Opinions? More specifically has anyone ordered from outside of the UK from them?

Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 08:58 PM UTC
The Brayley and Ingrams books are quite frankly brilliant. They consist of lots of colour photos recreating British soldiers right the way through WW2. I think a lot of the gear derives from a militaria shop in Southsea, where I have literally waded knee-deep in WW2 webbing, certainly some of the Pictures are taken outside the D-Day Museum on Southsea Common. I have the one on the British Tommy (which cost me all of GB£3.95 remaindered) and really recommend it. They cover a wider area than the Histoires et Collections books (which only do D-Day onwards), though the H&C books cover organisation and badges which the B&I books don't. They make a really good complement to each other.

The rest of Crowood's stuff is a mixed bag, they now carry the Europa Militaria line as well as producing several series of their own. Some of thier own books, like Bob Griffin's ones on the the Conqueror and Chieftain are good, but overall the picture reproduction isn't as good as the Brayley and Ingram books.
 _GOTOTOP