_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Panzer IVh Done!
MajKoenig
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 37 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2004 - 12:24 PM UTC
I decided I needed to stop spending so much time on a small model, with it being my first, I think I did a great job, considering it was the first I had done with so many different things. I will let everyone else be the judges. The kit is a 1/72 Revell Panzer IVh. It is Panzer Gray with a thin overcoat of Panzer Yellow which I mixed from scratched. After this, everything was given a very heavy wash with black and a tiny bit of red. The rear section around the engine grilles was expecially heavy. Unfortunately the pictures do not give any sort of justice as to how grimey she really is.

I will eventually put decals on it, but I just want to move on as I have spent 2 weeks on such a small model that most people do in 5 hours.

Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2004 - 01:39 PM UTC
nice.. you might want to add some black pastels to the muzzle break for some weathering...

and only 2 weeks... thats a rush job.. i've been working on my 1/35 tamyia duce and a half for 2 months now.. LOL anyways nice looking braile scale ground hugger
BulletTooth
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 94 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2004 - 02:10 PM UTC
Looks great! I really like the grey undercoat - that is the direction I am going with the Tiger 1 I'm building now. The weathering is tip-top!

BT
steeldog51
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,114 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2004 - 02:12 PM UTC
MajKoenig the panzer 3 and 4 are among my favourite german tanks of ww2
and i think you did it justice
the tracks look great and the suface dirt is cool too !
very realistic looking model mate ! 1/72 too not easy
i would agree with Delbert about thee use of pastel and or pigments especially on the muzzle break
and maybe a little bit of a drybrush over all (very subtle though)
this will just highlight the edges some a benefit on a small model such as this ,absolutley fantastic mate ! keep up the great work
and remember its not a race
but if your getting tired of it put it down a while and go back to it later
i think so far Delbert has echoed the sentiments of most modellers ,we generally do take a long time over things, and most of us have a lot of models in various stages of completion ,2 weeks ? thatd be a swift build for me !
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,041 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2004 - 10:02 PM UTC
wow

nice little build! I love the tracks and the overall weathering of the tank
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2004 - 10:46 PM UTC
Mighty fine looking Panzer there, sir...I think that you have done this model justice...Looks great from where I'm sitting...Braille scale literally makes me wish for my younger says when my eyes and hands were much steadier!!! Keep it up, Maj, your doing a fine job!

Gunny
MajKoenig
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 37 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 09:20 AM UTC
I normally would take longer too, but I also spend quite a bit of time per day. I would honestly say I have about 30-40 hours build time in it. The holiday weekend was pretty much spent on it.

As for the chalks...I have never used anything like that but I am guessing how alot of you guys get that hazy, dusty appearance on everything. I plan on doing a few more of these small scale beauities even though the tracks frustrated me, I feel like I would be able to make the next one 20 times better than this one.

Drybrushing I know a bit about, like the track segments on the hull were done with flat black, drybrushed with red and silver. I don't know about doing it to bring out details...I guess that is why I am here. Thanks all for the input and please continue to pass things along that I can learn from as I will be posting alot of in progress shots in the future on other things....so much that you may get sick of me, lol.

This was the first wash I did, I feel pretty good about the results. Next thing I want to look into doing is mud and sludge effects. Also doing different kinds of weathering on the stuff like around the exhaust, rust...etc.

I am just a Padawan at modeling as its been so long I have to re-learn everything. Thanks to all for your patience and guidance. This model is not as much of a product of myself, but a product of everyone that has posted on Armorama, as I have learned completely from this site. Thanks all!
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 06:17 PM UTC
MajKoenig,

I think it looks fantastic. I'd love to drive the 45-60 minutes north to see it in person some day....great job....
steeldog51
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,114 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 09:43 PM UTC
MajKoenig if you ever needto know anything someone here will always know what you need
drybrushing for the entire vehicle is similar as for the tracks ,except use a much dryer brush take some of the base colour you used for the tank take the thick pigment from the bottom of the jar if its enamel
and start with that lightly brush over the entire vehicle this will hit raised points like rivets and hinges and the corners etc...
next add a little white about a brush tip full
and do i again only slightly lighter than last time
and thats it really . mate every one starts as a Padawan
and although i've been modelling in one capacity or another for 20+ years i still learn something new here on the Big A
i dont think we could ever get sick of you mate or talking models! once again mate stunning job for a first attempt
in fact i would have said looking at this mdel you have done it many times before .all the best ! K
 _GOTOTOP