_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Punch & Dies
jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 322 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2004 - 08:53 AM UTC
Howdy Gents,

I am ready to take the plunge and buy som P&D sets (round & hex). Was just looking for some suggestions regarding the round ones. Mission Models sells 2 different sets from Waldron, and I was wondering which one I am more likely to use? The bigger set is .039 - .160 (6 punches) the smaller is .018 - .063 (10 punches). I have looked up the conversions to mm, but can't really accurately picture that in my noodle, so I need some help. I pretty much build 1/35 armor, afvs, soft skins, and 1/24 1/20 cars (rally, f1 etc.) Thanks in advance!
jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 322 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2004 - 01:50 PM UTC
bump....
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2004 - 02:08 PM UTC
For years I simply used a drill gauge and a drill as a punch set. This pass year I actually bought the Waldron sets. The smallest one goes down to the diameter of a pin shaft. (very tiny, smaller than the pinhead). This is the most expensive of the two sets, but for 1/35 and smaller would be the best for our needs. The larger set goes down to the size of the largest in the smaller set. I hope this makes sense.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2004 - 04:01 PM UTC
I have the standard Waldron set and while it is useful , I do sometimes find myself wanting to go smaller.

As for hex sets, save your $$. I started pricing them and then decided to get some plastruct hex rod in 3-4 different diameters and a box of razor blades. Best $40+ I ever saved.

Mike
 _GOTOTOP