_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
List Your Favorite use for dental pick's
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 01:25 PM UTC
Hi all

I've been keeping an eye out for a while for some dental picks but didnt' want to shell out a lot of cash for em.. now my local hardware store has a bucket of em for sale for $2 a pop...

so I was wondering what everyone favorite use of this tool is in model building..

so far i've used it to move and hold foil straps in place while I was superglueing them.. and cleaning sanded plastic out of recessed lines..

so list your favorite uses here...
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 01:32 PM UTC
Panel line scribing, scraping off excess flash in tight areas, etch in seam lines in uniforms, move stuff around in a small area, poke holes in foil,

Oh yea - clean my teeth :-)
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 07:19 PM UTC
I find them really helpful in placing small decals in place. It's alot better than using my fat fingers!

Other than the local hardware store, ask you dentist if he's got some old ones that he doesn't use anymore. Just another way to save a couple of bucks on supplies.
Now if I could just get him to supply me with some of his micro-brushes......
:-)
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 2,220 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2004 - 07:27 AM UTC
I use em most to detect caries, and leaks around bands, as for modeling, I prefere gold foil instruments, and hand chisles insted of explorers. As for microbrushes, That I DO love. Drop me a note.
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 604 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2004 - 10:12 AM UTC
I've used them for years for scribing bricks, detail work on figures, wood, etc., even done some lettering on buildings and tombstones. As for the dental burrs, your dentist should let you have his old ones as they just use them a couple of times and toss them. That's how I got the 40 or so that I have.

Art
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 03, 2004 - 02:57 PM UTC
I use to get them from area Dentist they use them for a while and then pitch them. So anytime I go to get my teeth cleaned I ask them to save them. They also have a model make stuff called Algalin (or something like that) that has a shelf life for medical use but last for years. Great stuff for making molds. They toss that stuff too, and if you go buy it it cost some bucks!

Later
Dave
 _GOTOTOP