_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Using Wire For Shell Casings
BulletTooth
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 94 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 07:16 AM UTC
Hey All,

I saw a friend's B-24J Liberator that used a really small guage of wire cut-up to simulate shell casings expelled from the internal machine guns. Only thing was, I forgot to ask him how he "glued" the shell casings to the floor of the fuselage. Since the casings are so very small, I was wondering if anyone here had a suggestion as to what to use?

Cheers,

BT
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 07:25 AM UTC
I've never actually done this, but this would be the first thing I would try in the absence of further information. As small as those pieces are, I would think you could scatter them where you would like and then simply spray them with a clear coat of your choice.
I think that would be sufficient enough to hold them in place, but be careful...your spray can or airbrush can blow the pieces around if held too close.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 12:54 PM UTC
Clear coat would work fine. I have done this using thin styrene rod, painted brass and cut to length. I glued them in place with some Testors Dullcoat, worked great.
Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 705 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 04:36 PM UTC
Maybe a thin coat of white glue, and sprinkle the casing on , then dull coat the area , dry brushing with brass .

might work.

Slug

BulletTooth
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 94 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2004 - 03:05 AM UTC
Thanks all for the suggestions. I think I will try scattering them then dusting with a clear coat. Hopefully the tackiness from the clear coat will make the casings stick. Will let you know how it goes!

Cheers,

BT
warvos
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2004 - 07:18 AM UTC
Cutting brass wire works perfect, and I dipped mine with one tip or side in a little glue, then put them in their place with a pair of pliers (hope I'm using the right word).
I've also tried to replicate an 1/72 ammunition belt , but up to now that never worked out. I tried it by glueing pieces of brass road to eachother, and then cutting them to length.. but everytime you cut one it breaks loose... or the brass road glues nicely to your fingers and not to eachother.. lol
Does anybody have any idea of how to scratchbuilt ammo belts?
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2004 - 07:44 AM UTC
At the least the clear coat will hold it down temporarily. I would still use some thin CA or Klear glue to secure most of them. You may also use very thin CA and an old paintbrush liberally in selective spots (oxymoron I know). Be careful that it would mess up any paint job that you've already done.

Jeff
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2004 - 04:59 PM UTC
http://www.mrprophead.com/wwIIB24.htm

ya can look here and see the b24 gunners belts

hope this helps

reb
 _GOTOTOP