_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
testors cements...
Fuhrer
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 87 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 05:36 PM UTC
I always wonder why do they have the non-toxic plastic cement and the regualar cement? Isn't the non-toxic safer than the other one, so why not just the non-toxic?
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 11:59 AM UTC
no clue, i dont even know if there's a difference, your suposed to glue plastic pieces, not your thumbs and your not supposed to eat it either.

whats the difference?

Frank
ThePieSpy
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 35 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 12:40 PM UTC
I heard that the non-toxic kind dries a bit slower but really i don't know if there is a whole lot of difference between the two.
Fuhrer
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 12:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I heard that the non-toxic kind dries a bit slower but really i don't know if there is a whole lot of difference between the two.

I read about that somewhere yesterday. I never used the orange tube before, also used the blue one, I wonder if the orange one smell like "citrus" like the blue tube.
SgtWilhite
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 470 Posts
KitMaker Network: 93 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 12:59 PM UTC
The "blue" tube has the citus smell the "orange" tube does not. The "blue" originally came out as a response to the glue sniffing craze back in the 70's and 80's. The "orange" contains Tolune. Not sure what that is but "blue" ain't got it. I guess that was what got the "heads" high. Also, the orange says you allow 2 hours for drying and the blue says 4 hours. I've used both, but not the blue in a long, long time. The Testors in the black bottle with the small tip works as good as any I've tried.
Fuhrer
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 01:07 PM UTC
SgtWilhite,
the testors bottles comes in blue and orange too. Which one is the one your using?
SgtWilhite
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 470 Posts
KitMaker Network: 93 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 04:07 PM UTC
Yeah, I forgot that they do. I use the orange. The blue just takes too long to start to set up. The blue also doesn't seem to hold as good when you first put your parts together. I've done a few things with the blue (I was out of orange) and they did fine, it was just that it took longer than I needed.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 04:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The "orange" contains Tolune. Not sure what that is but

Tolune is I suspect a substance called Toluene which is a chemical agent which is VERY BAD for you. As in not good at all. I must say that I didn't know that you can buy glue that contains toluene anymore.. What ever you do, don't sniff it.. It kills. Not that you should be sniffing any other glue..
I have been using Revell Contacta, which is a liquid glue, for many years and it works perfectly. My CA glue is Grip.

Cheers
Henk
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2004 - 12:28 PM UTC
i use tamiya liquid glue, the extra thin cement and plain liquid ciment. works a lot better than the other glues ive tried. the one from tesotrs in a black plastic bottle, that stuff works good but i just cant use it more than once, the stuff gets stuck ... maybe i dotn close it properly

Frank
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 03:11 PM UTC
I had grown up using Testors liquid cement, but recently (within the past 3 yrs) started using Tamiya extra fine. Great stuff, but I always have a bottle of Testors handy as well. It is great for strippling the surface to create cast texture or rust texture and I use it when I make non-slip surfaces on modern armor.
 _GOTOTOP