_GOTOBOTTOM
User Support
Having a problem with the site? Post it here.
strange things happening
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 08:15 AM UTC
Hi Jim ...I was wondering if it is my computer or are others having the same problems as me ...If I answer a question on a forum ,I no longer get sent back automatically ...If I try to insert a url or an image using your quick and easy buttons ..that doesn't work and finally and this the worst part ...I can't add any smiley faces to my aanswers....What to do ?? What to do?
:).

Rick
ps. OOPs! I just saw that this should be in the user support forum sorry bout that.
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 08:30 AM UTC
Richard - this has happened to me a couple of time too.

Now for the computer talk : Sounds like your ActiveX components have been dumped, usually can be cleared up by closing your browser and reopening it. If not close your browser and reboot your machine. That should reset everything and re-enable your ActiveX components.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 09:05 AM UTC
Chuck is right. Or the other possiblity would be that you (or an automated "internet security" application has disabled certain scripting within your browser. This is what make the forwarding redirection and things like BB code work.

Cheers,
Jim
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 09:12 AM UTC
That could be it ..I just added the service pack 2 for XP I guess that might be it ...Now I'm so computer stupid I'll have to figure out what to do next ...Thanks for the answer. Can I add pictures any other way like on other sites with will that work on this site?

Rick
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 09:16 AM UTC
Richard - The next thing to do is uninstall Service Pack 2. It contains buried pop up stoppers and internet security components not managable by the user. I know it sound drastic but SP2 causes more problems than it solves for Internet access. Your can uninstall it via the "control panel" "addd/remove programs" function. Internet support call centers all over the world are making the same recommendation. Many existing websites don't work properly with SP2.

UPDATE: From my support center contact (my wife) you can leave SP2 on your machine but go to "Control Panel" find the "Security Center" then find the "FireWall" and turn it OFF.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 07:22 AM UTC
Cool I'll try that .. Thanks
 _GOTOTOP