_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
My 1st AFV, In progress
MajKoenig
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 37 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 02:31 PM UTC
Well all, I know it isn't much...but I just was so proud of getting a nice flat coat of paint on this monkey I had to show-er off. Keep in mind, this is my 1st real model in at least 6 years or so, 1st using acrylics, 1st using an airbrush, and my 1st 1/72 scale. Any feedback is appreciated....by the end of the weekend I want to have er all done, nice camo job done, etc. I am still up in the air as to making this a Panzer IV F2 or going with the H and putting full Schurtzen on it.

pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 1,017 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 02:38 PM UTC
Looks like youre off to a great start. im glad to see you back in the hobbie after 6 years. Keep us posted.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 02:40 PM UTC
lookin good so far, cant wait to see it in its more advance stages
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 02:52 PM UTC
For your first AFV model, I'd have to say your well to doing great things. Is that completely out of the box? The craftmanship is great. Its a challenge to fine seam lines especially on something so small. On my 1/35 models, it is easy to see faults, so on a smaller model (ie faults are bigger in size), not finding one on your first is really good. I look foward to seeing your end result?

Jeff
MajKoenig
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 06:29 PM UTC
I decided to go with the Schurtzen after all. I am also trying a technique which will either make or break the model....

As I am attaching the brackets for the plates, I am slopping extra liquid cement over the nice pristine paint and moving the brackets a bit to look like welds. I am not sure how its gonna look, we will sure see after I put the paint over it all for the last time. More to come folks!
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 6,760 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,139 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 06:36 PM UTC
Looking fine so far
Keep us posted
clausen
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
entire network: 449 Posts
KitMaker Network: 223 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 08:28 PM UTC
Looking great, and a hell lot better than my first AFV kit!!! I'm looking forward to see the result!

Bjoern
MajKoenig
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 02:12 PM UTC
Eh, it choked up on me a bit tonight. I spent about 3 hours putting the Shurtzen on the turret alone. Felt like it was almost impossible, I did get them installed, even though they look rough, gapped, crooked, etc....it was not my ORIGINAL intention for them to be that way, but after looking at more reference pics...they were rarely straight as they were added in a hurry.

I also gave her a dunk in Simple Green and changed the base color to Panzer Grey...the reason for this is I am trying to depict a tank that was rushed to the front, still in her original color, and was just given a quick camo job in the field. My expectations are not high at all of this model due to the number of challenges I have faced, the size of the model and this being my first.

Thanks everyone for your support. I really wasn't planning on the responses to be that good. I will post pics soon.
MajKoenig
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 04:22 PM UTC
Woohoo! She is almost finished now, I'll give a quick rundown as to what I have done.

Basecoated with Panzer gray.
Painted over all this at high angle with a custom mix attempting to create Panzer yellow.
Scratched up front of hull, exposing Panzer gray.
Sprayed end of gun with Tamiya smoke....

I will finish it tomorrow by weathering the tracks....I think I am pretty much done with this because I realize I have spent over a week on a 1/72 model. However the experience I have gained by the small details on this will definately make me all around. I would suggest any newbie modeler to do a few 1/72...they really make you pay attention to details!

Thanks to everyone for all of your feedback too. I would like to get some on the final product as well.

SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,041 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 10:00 PM UTC
hi

nice paintjob!

only thing is the track at the end..it seems to be "disconnected" ?
MajKoenig
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2004 - 12:51 AM UTC
Yes, the tracks are in bad shape basically due to a very bad design on them as far as putting them together. They are segmented with individual links at the turns. I am going to take a shot at fixing them tonight as well as weathering the tracks, putting the spare track on the hull and a few finishing details.
 _GOTOTOP