_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
straps, belts and slings-new material?
Tommy_Guns
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 32 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 11:37 AM UTC
I just had an "apifany"... no its not terminal.

We all have our way of making seat belts, gun slings, belts and straps. From aluminium foil, through lead foil, all the way to bandages (the sticky ones).

I found a new material that works just as aluminum foild-bends and folds like lead foil and has somewhat of a bandage surface-and the material is... tam ta ra ram... Little Cesars dog food lids (Ok, I am not 100% sure if someone may have found that out already).

The lids are medium thick so they replicate nicely thickness of the slings and belts in scale, they cut easily into strips or any shape you would like using scissors (which I had problems using on either aluminium or lead foil-never to mention trying to cut either with an exacto knife-I always mess them up).

For those who do not know what Little Cesars is or have cats for example (I think they have the same packaging on other pet foods as well)-its a small rectangular box (very small portions) pet food with an aluminium lid-take the lid off-wash it (wash the container as well as it is a great pallette or weathering wash holder) and you will have enough belts and straps for a small army.

Hope this helps.

mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 01:10 PM UTC
Hey TG, thanks for the tip. A few of us here do have cats and i'm sure one of us(me) will try it. Always looking for new cheep ideas.
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 08:38 AM UTC
I've also been keeping the foil lids from the lunchbox pudding cups...since I got back into modeling, I seem to be considering all types of things for future model use...old watch parts, disposable lighter parts (be careful)...it's quickly becoming an obsession....the cool thing is, my wife will hang on to things to see if I want to keep them for modeling...that's the extent of her support though :-)
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 09:16 AM UTC

I just bought a couple for the dog and told the wife to wash the lids and save for me tomorrow..

this comes just in time as I will be needing some straps for some jerry cans and some gear on my current project.. i'll be glad to see how this works as I have no ready source of lead foil...

Monte
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 833 Posts
KitMaker Network: 216 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2004 - 07:48 AM UTC
Although I have an ample supply of lead foil from wine bottles, I'll have to check with my dog and see what he has to say about donating the lids from his dinners.

Good tip!
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2004 - 07:54 AM UTC
Has "Little Cesars" gone to pet-food too?? IIRC Little Cesars was a pizza place?? If that is the case, I can understand why, their pizza didn't cut it to my taste...
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2004 - 08:38 AM UTC
Thanks for the tip. However, my wife has reached her thresh hold limit on the things I ask her to wash and save. Any further "washing and saving" has to be done by yours truly. As far as the lead foil from the wine goes, I can never seem to find it on the "Box 'o Wine" I usually buy.

Shaun
 _GOTOTOP