_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Matte coating an aircraft
winchweight
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 513 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2004 - 05:31 AM UTC
Hi guys. Just a quick question. My fairy Rotodyne which I am building for Project X now has a matt green paint scheme. The decals are a little silvered and have been applied with microsol. I want to blend them into the matt finish, but am reluctant to spray varnish over it as there is a lot of canopy and transparencies. It was a hellish job masking them off before for painting, so I don't really want to do that again. So, will I get a good enough finish if I brush paint a matt coat over the model? After all the dramas I had before (melting the fuselage with my modelling lamps!! ) I am quite pleased with the progress I have made with this awful kit, and now I just want to finish it off.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2004 - 05:52 AM UTC
You need to correct the silvering before anything else. That may mean a good deal of work.
Minimally, you're going to have to poke pinholes in the carrier film and saturate the decal with solvent. When the decals soften, use a Q tip (I think you call them cotton buds) and roll the tip over the decal to squish them down. Unless the decals are already matte, you'll have to matte coat them to blend in with the rest of the finish.
You might find it easier to remove the decals, mask the plane again, gloss coat it, reallpy a new set of decals and give it another coat of flat before removing the masking.
 _GOTOTOP