History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Just bought a fantastic book ( 3rd Armor Div.
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2002 - 01:30 AM UTC
I just received my book yesterday from my favorite supplier with the
best prices for book's online ......... Tollehaus Book's !
Spearhead in the West: The Third Armored Division 1941-45

This book is chuck full of reference on the "Spearhead "...The 3rd Armor Div, and their
drive through Normandy to Germany and their final surrender.
It start's off with a small bio on the CCA & CCB commander's.
It then goes into very, very useful info on each and every single regiment that made up the division, and what their function was and weapons they used.
Then it goes into the birth of the division and their training in the U.S.
and England...preparing for their operations in the ETO.
Next it takes you into each battle form begining to end, that the division seen action in.
You get precise reference on identification of every Wehrmacht & SS military force, through Army - Corps - Battlion & unit level, that the 3rd went up against. ( Excellent reference from official archives ).
Every town the Spearhead thundered through.....and even their hardship's in the eye
of sometime's overwhelming losses in battle aginst the Germans ( this is what I like about the book.........it is not one sided. It tell you of the 3rd's great triumph's and also their defeat's
in battle when up against elite German troops. )
The last part of the book goes into great detail on the tactic's of each battle ( big & small ) and the complete Order of Battle for each U.S. Task Force assembled for each of those battles that was with the elite "Spearhead "
They don't sell you short on reference ............." believe me ".
TasK Forces such as: Kane - Welborn - Lovelady - Hogan & Richardson ......The independent TD battalions, etc................ It's all here !
Maps - over 500 b&w photo's, I'm really enthusiastic about the book, and when I start reading it.........I couldn't put it down. That's why I'm recommending this to all you guy's who enjoy reading and gaining more knowledge on historical reference on some of the
awesome U.S. division's that went to battle in W.W.II, and can really see for yourself
through the detailed wriiten text, what the 3rd div and it's soldier's encountered and went up against. So if your into reading good W.W.II account's of fact filled reference - this is one
book that we no doubt quench your mind's thirst for knowledge.

The other book I got alongs with this is - The U.S. Army Photo Album, " Shooting The
War In Color, 1941-45 U.S in the ETO, by Jonathan Gawne......but I'm sure most of you
have this one, so I'll end it here.

- ralph