_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Painting "between the lines"
scubyfan
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 24 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 06:49 PM UTC
Hi guys,

I'm having a difficult time painting areas of a particular color without going over the implied boundary. Please have a look at the picture below to see what I mean.

What is the best way of doing this? Even with a tiny brush and a steady hand, I end up over 1/2 mm over the boundary I'm supposed to paint, thus leaving an ugly residue. Do you mask for these kinds of situations? If so, is there a particular tape or will a typical painter's mask work?

Thanks in advance!

allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 942 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 07:33 PM UTC
ScubyFan
Are you using a brush? If so try painting from the middle out where you can and lift slightly when you near the edge.
Tom
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 08:12 PM UTC
Yo Scubyfan, yes i would use painters tape(blue kind). To make the tape even less stickier so as not to lift your paint, rip of a piece of tape and stick it to your shirt or paints, then mask of the job. Now put a little paint on the brush and paint from the tape edge out, kinda like drybrushing. This way the paint won't get under the tape. Once dry paint it a second coat or third or whatever it takes. Try it on a scrap piece of plastic till you get the hang of it.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 08:20 PM UTC
You could paint the belt first ... base with acrylic/enamel and then with oils to get a more realistic leather look. Then its easier to paint in towrds the belt rather than the way you are attemting it.

You could also use a the other colour again and hide this overlap. Use some thinner and drag a clean brush downwards to straighten it, or use a black wash to give defination to the line and also hide the slight imperfection.
Masking would be a last resort for me as it can bleed and give results something similar!
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 754 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 10:05 PM UTC
Scubyfan

A little trick I learned some time back is to take a toothpick sharpen it to a point and use it rather than a brush for tight spots. I've found that I get a bit more control for detail work.

Hope it helps
Harry
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2004 - 12:45 AM UTC
Masking is a key point, I would recommend it if you aren't satisfied.

Another idea is to paint across (at a 90 degree rotation) the surface not the length of it and angle your brush at a very low angle so the overlap edges have less chance of getting paint on them.
scubyfan
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 24 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2004 - 04:58 AM UTC
Guys,

Thanks a lot for the tips: I appreciate it!

I will post pictures of the completed project once I finish it (in another thread, of course.)

Cheers!
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2004 - 08:48 AM UTC
One more tip. If yuo're painting with a brush and using masking tape, don't use a fully loaded brush to go over the tape. If you have too much paint in your brush, paint might seep under the mask. Too much paint also often makes an ugly ridge when removing the tape.
spectre
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 235 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 08:43 AM UTC
wow i've gotta find some of this stuff. what is it called?
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 11:30 AM UTC
If you must use tape, don't use it straight off the roll. Place it on a piece of glass and use a new #11 blade and a straight edge to cut a "clean" edge to use against the area you want to mask. Burnish it gently and then paint.
I've used liquid masks with nice results also, particularly on canopy's....patience is the key.
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,447 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 11:43 AM UTC
hey bro, its alright at first. The talent of keeping a steady hand comes over time. If you first started it should be about 4 months of painting tanks and little figures and youll have a steady hand. Keep up the good work.
 _GOTOTOP