_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Milliput/sculpting newbie
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 05:58 PM UTC
I am about to undertake some extremely minor sculpting with Milliput, 2 buckles for a MG, and maybe a strap (okay I know, that's hardly sculpting :-) ).

I haven't used Milliput before, let alone sculpting or scratchbuilding. Does anyone have any tips for me?

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2004 - 12:07 AM UTC
First off is working with the damned stuff...

I use a piece of glass, talcum powder and a small roller (the type you would use for screen printing)

You'll find Milliput easier to use in sheets, to do that I always roll out a small piece on the glass using plent of talc (better use the unperfumed stuff ) and of course the small roller. You can use a small rolling pin type thingy or even a thickish resin or glass rod. I prefer the roller, it gives me more control....Jim
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2004 - 12:42 AM UTC
One different tip - I use a dab of water to keep it from sticking. I wouldn't recommend a combo of talc power and water though- you'll end up with milli-dough :-)
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2004 - 02:37 AM UTC
I think for a loose hanging strap I would use lead foil instead, but if you are wanting to use Milliput go ahead. Make sure that you roll it out in the correct thickness, then let it sit and cure for about 20-30 minutes so it gets a little stiff, that way it will cut easier and wont be just flopping around when you are trying to shape your sling. When rolling out I would suggest using talcum powder to prevent it sticking, then when you want to place the putty on something and make it stick, put some rubbing alcohol on the spot, that will take away the unsticky effect of talcum powder.

_GOTOTOP