_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
One almost huge Mistake. Armorama saved it
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 09:37 PM UTC
Well listen guys to what a guy can get into after 7 continouus hours of modelling

Last 2 weeks havent had an internet connection to be here in Armorama , so i was building a lot for my dioramas.
For my Greek Village dio , i needed 4 German soldiers figures. I selected 2 Verlinden's i had, and 2 Tamiyas, mixed with parts and changed heads with hornets and all that .
I selected the figures changed the parts cleaned , assembled them, filled the seams , smoothed them , pinned them and was about to prime them .

At the same time i was doing some groundwork for the same dio .using all the time.........the figure destroyer (u ll understand below)

Well left the groundwork to dry and decided to prime the figures to have em ready for painting . So i get the primer can shake it well , 1-2-3 minutes . and then grabed the wood with the 4 figures and started to spray . I t was almost 10.00 at night and i hadnt had good lighting on my yard. but i could see that the figures didnt turned light grey as the primer's colour was !! all this happend in seconds/fragments. I kep spraying till i see a whitish stinky, dirty, disgusting foamy thing , arising on my figures .covering them all with bubbles and , make them into sick mutant ninja turtles.

I stop spraying and curse the ...primer. Look at the can , to call it some names, and i discover that all that time i was spraying with 3M instant dry spray adhesive .!!!!!!!!
Jesus i called myself a lot of bad names !!!!! actually all the names i havent called anyone else a lifetime. Did not had any other figures that would do the job . And i destroyed not 1 but four nice figures .

Then i run and sweep the figures with tissue..but the bloody instand dry on the spray glue ...was a reality . i twas almost dry , the tissue stick on the figures and transformed them to the next stage of sick turtles . The about to fadeaway turtles that have already thrown out themselves.. I decided to throw the figures in the abyss. Then a small Armorama voice told me : what have u read in Armorama there for figures cleaning ? OVEN CLEANER !!!!

Yes but this was for paint , not that gum like blob mass i had made over the figures.

What i had to loose? Nothin

I filled a small ball with oven cleaner and dipped the figures in .
after 5 hours i was checking the figure grave expecting to see melted mix of resin and plastic.!!!! Well there was a yellowish blooby thing all over and could see no figures at all !!!!
i digged in and see my figures , in the same condition i have throwed them in there .
At least i thought so !!!!!
I got them and went to the water hose with an old tooth brush with hard bristles and started to brush them .

The Miracle started . The resin figures discarded the bloody glue at once and just had to clean a bit more the details and creases and all that .
But the plastic figures and parts were still resisting !!!!
Isolation again . I kept cleaning the resins and dipped the plastics in a fresh oven cleaner Mix.

Until i had the resins cleaned and almost after 4 hours after the second dive , the plastics with the apropriate toothbrushing , were almost clean. A sharp toothpick helped to clean the details and thats it!!!!. Brand new figures. I dried them and primed them with real primer this time. Now the stand ready to paint them . I saved my 4 precious figures and my nerves also .

So the lesson to me for this is:

1) Dont prime with adhesive, stick to normal primer
2)When ur wife send u to buy oven cleaner never say no
3)Keep old toothbrushes handy and available
4)Never leave an effort till u havent tried everything .
5)Read carefully all Armorama advices and keep them as a treasure in your mind, or ur puter .

Hope that i gave u some fun !!!!!!!!

Costas
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
entire network: 3,040 Posts
KitMaker Network: 251 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 09:56 PM UTC
Whaha lol, I'm glad that everything turned out oke. :-)
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 10:02 PM UTC
Ola Brother Costas

I earlier also found out the true magic of Oven cleaner. The most famous brand here is called mr. Muscle.
Well in the past I had used it to remove one layer of paint from figures as I was not satisfied but last week I totally screwed up the painting of my Panzerbefehlswagen I`m sure it was sprayed with matt paints but it came out glossy. To make matters worse I dropped the model and damagin some things. Well cursing mainly at myself for my stupidity I decided to try to strip the paint. And took a container with oven Cleaner and let the model rest in the hands of Mr. Muscle. Well three hours later the tank was clean of any paint and ready to be painted for the second time.

Great Stuff Oven Cleaner

MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 10:42 PM UTC
another good thing with oven cleaner it does not damage clear parts
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,041 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 11:11 PM UTC
Pardon me as i've never used this 'oven cleaner' before...

how do you use it? say, i want to strip a tank of its paint... i just dip the whole tank in the 'cleaner' for a day/night ?

or, i pour the liquid on the tank and i can start to scrub off the paint?

thanks!
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 11:20 PM UTC
Oven cleaner comes in an aerosol can like fly spray. Put your model in a dish and completely cover it with foam. Leave for 1 to 6 hours and then wash with a soft brush in clean water. Re-do if necessary

Cliff
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 11:38 PM UTC
Yous guys are enjoying this oven cleaner stuff too much..... :-) :-) :-)
Back in the days of hair teeth, and wife.... she saw me using it to strip a model, and put my butt to work..... cleaning the OVEN....... !!!!!! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 11:48 PM UTC
Ha Ha Dave !!! i am doing these works when my wife is out !!!!!!!
Now u mentioned that , i really have to clean the oven at home !!!!!!! :-)
:-) :-) :-) :-)
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 6,760 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,139 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 12:19 AM UTC
:-) Good thing you didn't turn the nozzle the wrong way, and glued yourself Costas. Then you would have to cover yourself in ovencleaner.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 12:51 AM UTC
hahah imagine this one!!!!!!! very funny :-) :-) :-) :-)
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 01:17 AM UTC
This is something everybody does, is make mistakes, I sure made enough of them in my day. I had some old enamels that were getting pretty thick, so I thought I would thin them a little, so I get out a bottle of thinner and pour in a few of the enamel bottles.

Thank God, I only done a few, cause right after I got to looking, and seen I had just thinned them with alcohol, talking about calling yourself names, and why I didn't look at that bottle a little better before I done that.
Never take anything for granite, we should always double check.

I'm just as bad as the next guy. We all have our crazy moments. It's the one's that say they don't have any crazy moments, now that is the ones, I worry about.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 01:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm just as bad as the next guy. We all have our crazy moments. It's the one's that say they don't have any crazy moments, now that is the ones, I worry about.

He who makes no mistakes, makes nothing at all.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 1,969 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 02:36 AM UTC
Me? I never make A mistake. I make a bunch of them! :-)

Costas, I could just feel what you were feeling when you realized that you had the wrong can!

Cheers me mate,

Garry
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 3,377 Posts
KitMaker Network: 925 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 02:42 AM UTC
Mistakes ??? , well, one day when I was cleaning one of my handguns (a Ruger 100 .357) I reached out to take the spraycan with oil, and ....applied a nice layer of matt lacquer on the handgun .....
steeldog51
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,114 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 03:36 AM UTC
Wow costas i would never had thought it ! this is precious info indeed! now locked away in my mind for the next horendous screw up! yeah it will happen but when ? now i'm prepared !
 _GOTOTOP