Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
help from everyone in the canadian army!
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 01:03 PM UTC
hey guys... at school today, we had a fair, and since iam a kid ive wanted to join the military and become a soldier. so i go up to the guy and ask him questions, and he's telling me all this wonderfull stuff and how great the army is and how fun it is, so i call my cousin who left the army after completing basic training and serving a few years to ask him about his experience, told me about the pros and cons about the army and all that... said it was good thing to go throught basic training and all... so can anyone here share there good and bad moments?

Thanks
merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 501 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 12:13 PM UTC
The tours, when you get them are usually pretty good. Most of the time training is pretty interesting. Espesially Combat Team Live (mind you, when was the last time we did that!) Right now is a somewhat exciting time to join because of all the new kit we are getting. The down side is we as still going through some of the growing pains that comes from learning how to use this new equipment. If you have the drive to succeed , you can go far very quickly. What trade are you planning to go into? Infantry, infantry, infantry. Sorry Paul, but we can always use more troops :-) Do you like fishing, camping and hunting? Well son have I got the job for you! (Did anyone else get fooled by that line?) If you got more questions there's a few of us here in the army.
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 401 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 02:55 PM UTC
As the old commercial says..."There's no life like it!!!" I learned a lot, had a great time, met some wonderful people and wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

BTW, did you say you were going infantry??? :-)
blackfly
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 62 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 04:03 PM UTC
I would recommend a career in the CF to anyone. If a “career” is not what you are looking for then, maybe a 3 year basic engagement to get some life experience and depending on what trade you enroll in, some traveling. I have been in for 15 years and have had the most challenging yet rewarding experiences of my life.

There are many excellent trades in the CF and the pay is now extremely competitive with civilians employed in “similar” fields if not better in some areas and the benefits are excellent.

A few words of caution, when you go to see a recruiting office and finally decide on the trades you want… stick with them. The recruiters are trained in the art of Jedi mind tricks and can make you go from wanting to be a AVN Tech (aircraft mechanic) to an infanteer in less time than it takes you to sign the dotted line (no offence Dave). Your best bet is to find someone who has spent some time in the Forces and have a sit down with them (not a recruiting officer); it’s certainly easier to answer questions face to face than in an online forum like this. Pay no attention to the media, we always seem to be a great target for ridicule and don’t listen to all those who “have heard from a friend of a friend” about the CF it's impossible to explain it if you haven't experienced it.

How about the Artillery?
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 07:49 AM UTC
i was thinking of becomeing either a combat engeneer or just plain infantry, or something realy similar to that. iam pretty lucky i have my cousin as he joined in already, but i still want to know some of your experiences always fun to hear stuff from otehr people...

yeah, those peace keeping missions do suck... my couzin told me something that happened to his comander while he was in bosnia... but i dont think i should say it, some kind of respect i guess.

iam one of those guys who dont quite.... il still stick to what iam doing no matter what..so if i join, i want to be SURE i have no doubts about it... so far i dont, even with those guys with a superior rank then you callign u soem kinda jackass or a sis

Keep up the comments guys i apreciate them!
Frank
merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 501 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 12:00 PM UTC
Right on Infantry!!! Paul is going to try and get you to go Chimo now :-) Patricia is the place to go!
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 05:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

i was thinking of becomeing either a combat engeneer or just plain infantry, or something realy similar to that. iam pretty lucky i have my cousin as he joined in already, but i still want to know some of your experiences always fun to hear stuff from otehr people...

If you got a brain use it! learn a trade you'll not be in the forces forever I had the chance of being an helo mechanic and never took it joined the transport corps with my mate instead..........set yourself upwith something that will see you through life and remember.
a, as comming from a commonwelth country you are entilted to join the British army
b, tradesmen in the army genrally get paid more than grunts