_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
REVIEW
  Sharpe's Escape by Bernard Cornwell
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 06:54 AM UTC
Just posted - possibly a first for Armorama, a review of a historical novel. Not perhaps as crazy as it may sound at first, as modellers we tend to get inspiration from where we can find it. In my own case, my previous interest in the Peninsular War was re-ignited by the superb Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell. As the author says in his historical summary at the end of each of the novels, "Sharpe and Harper will march again" - who knows perhaps another review will march across the pages of Armorama... The review can be seen by marching across to the link here:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 07:21 AM UTC
I have this book on my shelf and Im itching to get at it I am a complete Sharpe fan I have all the novels and the t.v.series on dvd & Shaun Bean will always be sharpe for me,a perfect bit of casting.Im also a big Cornwall fan I have all the Grail quest books in hard cover the battles in those are fantastic also the warlord series Arthur is so much more believable.Good review Jim and definatley not out of place on the big A P.S. I believe Historex do a good 54mm rifleman.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 07:26 AM UTC
sorry Jimbrae just not entirely convinced this is the right site to review these types of books on.

Cliff

PS> I too am a big fan of those and other series of his books.
tango20
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
entire network: 1,281 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 11:21 AM UTC
I know that its a book that is being talked about,but i do think it is the type of book that stirs ones immagination ,brings history or present day to life,makes the creative juices so to speak of modling flow.
I agree if it was a book on patton monty Mcarthur then prehaps another forum, the beauty of these perticular books/series is that when it came out i purchased a figure of that perticular era 95th riflesi just think that this type of book goes with modling
No doubt iam wrong my mrs always says iam
Cheers chris tango 20
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 08:49 AM UTC
Hi Jimbo,got to disagree with Cliff on this one,if Authors like Mr Cornwell get the facts wrong,they get jumped on pretty hard,and so far he has hit the nail on the head consitantly,historicaly correct and entertaining,just take his description on loading a Baker Rifle,or a Muskett,clothing worn,battles depicted,personalities involved,i could go on and on,Cornwell and writers like him make history come alive,long may they do so.
Arthur
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 10:10 AM UTC
As an absolute fan of Cornwell (well I guess that's fairly obvious ), your comments Arthur, are very much in line with my own feelings - I don't know what author sufficiently inspired me into modelling but I guess it was a combination - probably writers like W.E. Johns had some influence along with C.S. Forester and even Alistair MacLean. One of the criticisms that has been levelled at Cornwell has been 'over-research' a claim I find absurd..

As for value to the modeller - the description of the British Army of the peninsula as little more than a group of heavily armed scarecrows, makes nonsense of these immaculately attired 'RedCoats' that sadly infect too many competitions... The colour of a uniform was ofen as much related to the corruption of the manufacturers of the uniforms as the climactic conditions - something that Cornwell brings through in his books repeatedly. Now THAT is of relevance to the figure modeller...Jim
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 08:52 PM UTC
Thanks for the review Jim.

I'm a HUGE Bernard Cornwell fan. And an even bigger Sharpie fan. Every month I have to slip another Sharpe book into the bookshelf, and hope that the Mrs doesn't notice.

The Cornwell books are brilliantly researched and provide an excellent source of information (and dio ideas) for the modeller.

kglack56
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 74 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2004 - 04:14 AM UTC
While we're at it...the G.I.Combat issue No. 249 Titled "Scrap Heap Hero" is a great read...this series of comics are what really started me off on modeling as a kid in the 60's. Not to mention the cover artwork of Joe Kubert.
oh....i guess i mentioned it...

anyway Top Notch stuff

with humble apologies to Roo....for the review...

kglack
 _GOTOTOP