Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
tough day at work today.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 11:59 AM UTC
I got assigned to stretch wrapping pallets today. The job consists of a forklift driver placing a pallet of material on a turntable. I then attach the shrink wrap to the pallet and turn the machine on manipulationg a couple of knobe to make it raise and lower a tiny platform with stretch wrap on it while the pallet spions. I then stop the spinning motion when enough stretch wrap has encircled the pallet to hold the freight to it cutting the shrink wrap free. The forklift driver then removes the pallet and places a new one on and the process begins again. Each pallet takes maybe 2 minutes from start to finish. I did a total of 25 today in an 8 hour shift. Ohhhh my aching fingers. #:-)

Well someone's got to do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, they also gave me a free lunch to.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 1,969 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 12:19 PM UTC
Yep Steve that used to be part of my old job. And I know, very exiting work huh?

Regards,

Garry
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 12:22 PM UTC
We have one of those in the warehouse in the foundry. I always wondered why those guys looked so well rested when they got off work...

Shaun
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 12:31 PM UTC
I love the sound of shrink wrap when you are getting it away from the roll. :-) :-) :-)
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 12:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh yeah, they also gave me a free lunch to.

and if they didnt...you should have asked them too, 25 is a lot, my hats off to you
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 01:39 PM UTC
Part of my job..... Yes, I actually do something at work besides build models...... :-) :-) :-) :-) is to remove the wrap that comes on those pallets..... oh just one at a time, when needed, as we use only one pallet of salt at a time.
The funny thing is one time there will be only one or two layers to remove, other times seems the wrapper got carried away and lost count on how many turns he put on....... :-) :-) :-) :-)
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 07:21 PM UTC
we had one in the plastics factory were I worked some times they used to wrap each other up ....funny how the kid in you never leaves it only gets worse
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 07:33 PM UTC
I'm a "professional" now. My pallets come out perfect everytime. I have to rest up all weekend though. Monday is a big day and I may have to do (gulp) 30.

Seriously though, Three days of work have not been very taxing, but at least I'm getting paid and a nicer bunch of folks you couldn't ask for.