_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Newbie Getting Frustrated
MajKoenig
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 37 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 01:16 AM UTC
Okay, I have re-entered this hobby about a month ago for the first time in about 8 years. Looking on here I see alot of great models, which has brought me back in. I completed my first model (Nextel Cup Stock Car) with little problem and it had lots of details.

However I am onto my next model, a Monogram 1/144th Saturn V rocket. This one is not going together well at all, the halves did not go together well at all and left a nice ugly seam. I sanded it down and tried to blend it with some Squadron putty but you can see some of the putty flaws though the paint (pinholes, etc). I am wondering if I am just too hard on myself being this new to the hobby again or if there are tips you could give me.

I want all of my work to look just as good as the stuff on here, but I know the work here is a lot of years experience. Just seeking a little guidance I guess as I am getting frustrated already.
TUNA
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 449 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 01:40 AM UTC
Nah.. don't get frustrated.. just keep building.. you'll get better with every kit.. all of us who quit when we were kids, and then come back as adults go through this... We get drawn back in, because of seeing all the 'neat' builds out there.. so hop back in the hobby.. then get frustrated when our kits dont' turn out like the pro's...

One thing I would do.. is in the beginning, build the 'cheaper' kits... you can still buy nice kits.. but save em for as you acquire more skills...

Hey.. I'm still learning.. and I've been back 5 or 6 years... I think Everyone's still learning.. and the more you build.. the more satisfaction you get as things get better...

So don't get frustrated.. just keep building!
Frag
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 437 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 01:44 AM UTC
Majkoenig,

I started modeling again about a year ago after being away for about 35 years. This site was one of the reasons I got back into it. A lot of the guys (and gals) who post here are truly experts and its easy to get frustrated when one of our models just doesn't compare to one we see here.

I have learned to be patient (although not patient enough yet). It is very tempting to rush things to get a model done so we can see how good it is. I am learning that there is more enjoyment in the building than the completion. Quality model building is similar to learning how to play a musical instrument; it takes practice and we improve over time.

I have also come to realize that my models will never be as good as some that I have seen here.

Don't be so hard on yourself and enjoy the learning experience. Post some of your pics here and you will get good, honest and constructive comments that will help you improve your skills:-H
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 01:54 AM UTC
Please keep in mind the object of modelling is to have fun. If you are not having fun and truly enjoying the build, then you are not doing models for the right reasons. There isn't a single good modeller out there who doesn't love what they do. Do you think the "pro" modellers are in it for the money? Even the best modellers aren't making enough on their models to live in the lap of luxury. You have to love it to keep doing it, and a byproduct of that love is that you will continually strive to improve yourself and your skills, and when you have some experience under your belt, the models will begin to be what you want them to be.

I would echo Charlie's sentiment of buying the cheaper kits to start on. Eventually you will be able to make a cheap kit look really good, and then you will want to do aftermarket stuff and eventually scratchbuilding. The key to it all is patience and perseverance. Also, there are some kits out there that are real cherries to build and look great without a lot of the extra things you normally have to do to make them more accurate. My personal favorite is the Dragon Wagon from Tamiya. This type is referred to as the "add glue and shake" type of kit that goes together so seamlessly that they are well loved by modellers. Ask some of the guys in your area of interest which kits out there this applies to and you will be able to enjoy some good results with a little less experience.

But most importantly, HAVE FUN! :-)
MajKoenig
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 01:55 AM UTC
Yeah, I spent 200.00 recently on a ton of Tamiya kits and misc air and auto kits. Basically since I got them 50% off, I was planning on using some of them for experience.

The thing is, I planned on doing this Saturn V just so I could get some practice with my airbrush...and the kit itself is frustrating me. I can't believe that I am having problems with a ROCKET!

Oh well, I decided to put it in the box and move onto something else. I have a Lunar Lander that I would do, but I think I will just be easy, take a step back and do some 1/48 Revell aircraft. Or does anyone else have suggestions on good kits to learn on?
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 02:42 AM UTC
Good kits to learn on,are the early Tamiya armor,the motorised stuff.
The good thing about a problem w/ a puttied seam,is to just re putty,and allow to dry for a long time.Then go back and sand with finer and finer grits of sand paper or sanding sticks. Also,don't foget to primer,before painting,you can find and fix small flaws quickly... (++) (++)
Monte
Visit this Community
entire network: 833 Posts
KitMaker Network: 216 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 08:01 AM UTC
Koenig,

I use Bondo Spot and Galzing putty instead of the Squadron stuff. It sands alot easier and smoother than the white or green stuff and tends to fill the gaps better. You might want to give that a try. You should be able to get it at any automotive or hardware store.
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 08:19 AM UTC
My suggestion is to relax and take it easy and don't expect perfection! Sometimes, no matter what you do will make the model turn out the way you want it to.
I'm actually the same way as you, and have learned that it takes time to get the skills back after years of not doing any kits. I try a new or different technique each time I do a kit and that way on each successive kit, I get to redo the technique and be able to try to get it done as well as I can.
Does this make sense??
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 08:30 AM UTC
We are all our own worst critic. I can spot the mistake or flaw on one of my models from across the room, I ought to be able to I put it there. The worst time to evaluate your work is right after you've done it. Like other here have said, relax give it some time, you'll either see it's not so bad, or come up with a way to improve it. (There is always room for improvement).

Oh, yes the voice of experience, I've been building models for almost 50 years. Someday I'll get one I'm happy with.

You came back to the HOBBY, because there was something about it you enjoy, so enjoy don't beat yourself up.
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 08:37 AM UTC
Try Milliput Superfine to fill in seams you can use a damp cloth to smooth it out and when sanded down it very rarely leaves any pin holes,i have being doing this hobby for thirty years or more,and still get things wrong and an still on a learning curve.
Arthur
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 08:39 AM UTC
Im with CRS been modelling for over 40yrs and pleased to say I can still turn out crap on a regular basis :-) Honestly get a good modelling book one of Shep Paines and digest it.re the filler i hate the stuff that why I do armour,have you tried wet and dry paper that stuff leaves a nice finish, even worked for me, stick with it mate and dont be afraid to ask questions from the big "A"
MajKoenig
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 10:52 AM UTC
Thank you all. I am really glad to be a part of this community. i got back in the hobby to build beautiful models. I have been to museums and seen some of their models that seem to be 3rd rate, I know I can do better. I want to proudly donate my work as well as display it at home. I love creating things, and think I have reached the level of maturity it takes to be a good modeler now, before I was just throwing money away.

As for the bondo gap filler, I will give that a shot. The sandpaper I use are Testors Hobby films which are wet/dry papers and they are VERY durable.
Monte
Visit this Community
entire network: 833 Posts
KitMaker Network: 216 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 12:40 PM UTC
Like the others said, relax and keep working at it. I'm sure that your skills are there and in no time they will really start to show.
Keep one thing in mind. There is nothing wrong with pushing yourself to do better. Just make sure you build for yourself. Not the approval of others.
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 01:27 PM UTC
Patience is the key and I still have not learned it...One thing for you folks getting back in..Check out the Age2 campaign in the Campaign section on the home page....Join up, if you qualify ,and have some fun, We are always here to help each other!
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 02:08 PM UTC
here's a neat trick to stay away from the fustration of ruining a nice and expensive kit: Walmart. like, 12 dollars canadian for a spitfire is a peanut! and the build is quite good... also, you cant expect to be as good as you were 8 years later! your jsut a lil rusty

good luck
Frank
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 02:26 PM UTC
Can't say for sure but Nascar and a rocket probably aren't the best quality kits. That rocket kit is probably 20 years old!
MajKoenig
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2004 - 02:14 AM UTC
The rocket kit molds are off the original Iam sure, so I know its not the best. However, the newer Nextel Cup kits are more detailed than most Tamiya kits. They are level 3, have over 100 parts and have almost everything detailed.
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 471 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2004 - 06:00 AM UTC
Sometimes a poorly fitting kit can just get you down, but don't let that stop you. If its the putty issue stopping you have you done a search in the forums. Alot of the guys have talked about using nail polish remover on a cloth while the putty is still tacky to get a nice seam, instead of tons of sanding. I think you are on the right track though, when I started back up (20 year break) I cranked out about a dozen hobbycraft, revell monagram cheapies. They arn't much to look at but you can see a general improvement, especially after all the tips and tricks you will pick up on this site. As long as the modelling is fun for you, it isn't that important how the final product looks compared to someone elses.
MajKoenig
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2004 - 06:56 AM UTC
Yeah, last night I started a 1/72 Panzer IVh. I thought I would do this for a few reasons...mistakes don't show as much in 1/72, but the size will force me to pay attention to detail more. It took me over an hour to get through the first 3 steps, which were simple attachments because I was trimming and sanding. I will definately post pictures when this one is done. I have a good feeling bout it. I put the Saturn V away until I get some more skills with putty.
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2004 - 07:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

mistakes don't show as much in 1/72

A word of caution about that statement. In 1/72 mistakes are larger "/features". Do not let this dishearten you, build to your ability and learn from any mistakes.
MajKoenig
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2004 - 08:04 AM UTC
But the mistake is smaller, because you are using smaller parts is what I am saying. If I make a glue dabble on a part, it will not be as easy to see as it would on a 1/24th model, because there is only 1 small drop as opposed to a line. Also the eyes (except ours) dont tend to pick up mistakes that are so small. But I also see what you are saying as well. It is coming along well.
Leopold
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 446 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2004 - 09:37 PM UTC
do not give up!! i was like you too..the secret.. cement, airbrush oil paints and patience...
MajKoenig
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 01:56 AM UTC
Actually, I am totally loving this Revell 1/72 tank. I may have found my niche....it is going together so well, I made it halfway through the instructions with minimal problems. I love this stuff again! Just ask me how I feel when I am trying to camo this thing.
 _GOTOTOP