_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Oiling an airbrush
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 02:45 AM UTC
I have an Iwata airbrish that I need to oil. Where do I oil it so that it doesn't mix with that paint and make a mess?

Also, I have heard that using WD-40 is not a good idea. Is gun oil ok?
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 09:14 AM UTC
try your local hobbyshop for oil, if they dont have it go to your airbrush co.s website, they will most likely have something for you to read
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 09:47 AM UTC
Badger makes an airbrush oil.... called "Needle Juice"
And yes.... I use it ... on my Badgers, and Iwata.
Elad
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
entire network: 458 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 10:08 AM UTC
excuse my ignorance but why would you want to put oil in your airbrush?
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 12:41 PM UTC
i read somewhere that we have to oil our airbrush. but i dont know excatly where to put the oil. I try putting WD-40 on the needle and i dont recall any improvement ..err i think this is to prolong the life isnt it??
can i use regular machine oil or sewing machine oil??

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 08, 2004 - 12:31 AM UTC
I think you can use any light weight sewing machine, or watch oil, fine instrument oil, and even the oil that comes with hair clippers. One drop on the needle goes a long way, I simply put a drop on the needle, and run my finger along it to spread a fine film. ( after cleaning airbrush)
When I'm ready to paint I simply spray a cup of clean mineral or lacquer thinner through the airbrush to remove any excesse oil up front.
You may occasionally wish to put a drop, on the rear thingy with the spring in it to smooth out it's action.(I'm sure the thingy has a fancy name) But it's the thingy that the needle passes through.
The badger oil is formulated not to damage any teflon or rubber seals, don't know about the other stuff, but WD-40 will damage your seals.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 08, 2004 - 01:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think you can use any light weight sewing machine, or watch oil, fine instrument oil, and even the oil that comes with hair clippers. One drop on the needle goes a long way, I simply put a drop on the needle, and run my finger along it to spread a fine film. ( after cleaning airbrush)
When I'm ready to paint I simply spray a cup of clean mineral or lacquer thinner through the airbrush to remove any excesse oil up front.
You may occasionally wish to put a drop, on the rear thingy with the spring in it to smooth out it's action.(I'm sure the thingy has a fancy name) But it's the thingy that the needle passes through.
The badger oil is formulated not to damage any teflon or rubber seals, don't know about the other stuff, but WD-40 will damage your seals.

thanks for the advice Dave. Now that's why i damage my airbrush. WD-40 kills!! I'll be extra carefull next time.
 _GOTOTOP