Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
1/48 Vehicle folly?
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 11:09 AM UTC
The recent releases and re-releases (updated?) of Tamiya’s 1/48 scale vehicles there are finally a handful of very good vehicles that can be placed in dioramas with aircraft.

But now once more we face the inevitable! With Dragon’s recent release of their Tiger I late we (hopefully) probably now have every type of Tiger that saw the light of day in 1/35 scale plastic.

With the releases of these 1/48 scale vehicles we now see Skybow and Tamiya releasing, yup you guessed it, Tiger Is. Tamiya’s Tiger I early (kit #TA32504?) will see the shelves this month, with Skybow’s Tiger I Late (kit#TP4801) and Tiger I Early (kit #TP4833) seeing the shelves early next year.

I know that these kits will be of exceptional standard, but are we to once again see even the 1/48 scale vehicle scene dominated by Tiger Is?
How about vehicles we can use with 1/48 scale aircraft and helicopters in dioramas?
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 11:39 PM UTC
I agree with you entirely, Eric.

Just goes to show that the model manufacturers are NOT listening to the modellers.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 11:45 PM UTC
Amen, Brothers...Gotta agree with both of you...There has to be someone who will listen to us...

Gunny
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2004 - 12:50 AM UTC
Well,I agree with you up to a certain extent however, Skybow has announced that it is producing a Firefly Vc in 1/48th as well...

I really don't want to go over old ground here, however, it has to be understood that Tigers sell. In another thread, some of the suggestions were frankly ludicrous (from a commercial point of view ) From a modeling point of view - excellent.

Any commercial enterprise has to keep an eye on the balance sheet - reality is the fundamental question.

Do the model companies care what the modelers want? Yes and no. Trumpeter for example, is very much 'consumer-led' take an overview of their recent (and forthcoming) releases and you will see what I mean... On the other hand, Tamiya is becoming a bit of a joke - I have just seen their 'new' release list and apart from the 1/48th vehicles it is ENTIRELY re-pops..

Perhaps I am in an enviable position - as News Editor, I have to constantly scour the websites of the distributors, the producers and other modeling sites looking for the elusive 'clue' which will bring an interesting story. The truth is, there are some damned exciting things happening in the modelling world - companies such as Formations, Echelon Decals, Royal Model, Cal35 or Mig Productions have got some really innovative stuff out there - even to their credit, Dragon are causing some earthquakes with their releases. Too much was said about their Tigers, not enough about their M4a2.

C'mon guys, give credit where credit is due - think outside the box ...Jim
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 11:31 AM UTC
Hi Jim

Actually I respect and commend what both aftermarket and plastic injection companies are doing. The competition between them is spoiling us model builders for choice, more now than ever before! Here I am questioning the injection companies’ (mainly Tamiya) judgement regarding 1/48 scale items.

I know that there is a large following of 1/48 scale armour, http://track48.com and www.1-48.com are proof of that. Also (AFV Club) Skybow’s Tigers have long been in planning and so far the ticklers I have seen and read about, shows them to be excellent kits (in the planning and prototype sets so far that is), I’m sure their Firefly Vc will attract as much attention.

There is a larger following of 1/48 scale aircraft then there is armour (mainly because of the supply of aircraft versus the lack of supply of armour). The only ways to construct dioramas with aircraft and other vehicles in 1/48 scale is by either scratchbuilt, obtaining one of the dwindling Bandi kits, resin or conversion of one of the better-motorized kits. Then Tamiya launches its Kubelwagen and re-released / updated? Kettenkraft (previously from their Do335 Pfeil and Me262) kits, hope for aircraft dio builders is born. Then they release a Tiger I???? Surely it makes better business sense (even to Tamiya) to release items in 1/48 scale that both armour and aircraft dio builder would buy. For example a Willy’s Jeep, Opel Blitz, or any other soft skinned vehicle as well as a 88mm Flak gun, twin 40mm Bofors, 37mm or 20mm guns would attract both sides?

Quoted Text

C'mon guys, give credit where credit is due - think outside the box ...Jim

Jim, I do commend Tamiya for their release of the Kubelwagen and Kettenkraft. Trumpeter is gaining support everyday from model builders, mainly because they are the only company (half) listening to the consumer. Dragon with its ‘3 in 1’ kits will be pulling a lot of old and new customers.

Tamiya is a very large company, but in the static scale model arena Trumpeter, Dragon, AFV Club and Academy are starting to pull ahead of it.