_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
who builds those models!
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 01:35 PM UTC
i was checking tamiya's site today and wondered somethign when i saw the new F-16 they came up with... then later saw this job opertunitiy thing on hte site... and thought " who builds these models!"
who builds the models thats go on the revell boxes? or the models built and dispayed on sites! do peopel get paid for modeling! that be great

Frank
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 01:44 PM UTC
Years ago I use to build for MRC/Fujumi. For their trade show exhibits.

Not blowing my own horn..... had to be Totally by directions, out of the box. And the
short notice, deadline, and low pay just wasn't worth it.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 01:49 PM UTC
aww, that kinda sucks....

how much did they pay around?
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 01:53 PM UTC
I read that Shep Paine only had days to build his fantastic diorama inserts for Monogram. He got the test sprues and no instructions.
spectre
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 235 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 02:08 PM UTC
If you want to get paid for modelling it looks like the indie collectable-item modellers have it great. the words "custom order" almost always make something cost alot, and you usually have the chance to do either PE or "artistic liscence"
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 12:31 AM UTC
The basic rate was 3 times the MSRP of the kit.
Allan's right, short notice most of the time. They would ship me a package, it would get to my home on Monday, and they would want it usually by the following Monday, and that would include shipping time.
Lucky for me they were only about 30 miles from where I lived, and I would drop them off personally.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 09:32 AM UTC
wow, one week to ship and build! and only three times teh msrp... doesnt look worth it too bad though

Frank
druid
Visit this Community
Finland
entire network: 211 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 11:06 AM UTC
I think building for money and especially under a tight schedule would take the fun out of the hobby. I wouldn't want to play games for money either. I do these things to relax and have fun. Building continuously on schedule would be too much routine instead of creation.

Given the skills and opportunity the only thing I could consider would be helping with a community project or some major topic I'd be really interested in.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 11:38 AM UTC

"...I read that Shep Paine only had days to build his fantastic diorama inserts for Monogram. He got the test sprues and no instructions...."

Geeez, only adds to the 'awe' I have for that gentleman.

As most people here are aware, our own Gino 'HeavyArty' won the TamiyaCon award with one of his builds. He got the free trip to Tokyo out of it. I wonder if he's now on retainer with Tamiya?...........Gino??

And Grumpy......you spit out models for MRC huh? Cool. So, based on that history, I guess you should be able to buzz out projects pretty darn quick then? I wish I had that level of speed.

This conversation reminds me of almost the very same thoughts I had in regards to Dragon's new line of pre-painted kits.....
Who the heck paints THEM!
I mean, they generally look pretty darn good for mass production painted items. And the price is a real killer.

Tread.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 11:48 AM UTC
Rumor has it a local exhibit on a Battleship wants my Leopold.
That would be a donation on my part.Well,so long as they spell my name right......

(++) (++)
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 11:57 AM UTC
Actually they were extrememly fast builds, no detailing, washes, drybrushing, or anything else. I would never personally consider putting them in a show or contest. And it certainly did take the fun and enjoyment out of the hobby.
I only did it a few times, and eventually told them that I didn't have the time anymore.
I am actually when on my own a rather slow builder. ( I have AADD, and lose intrest and focus easy, maybe that's why I have so many in-progress items going on at the same time, and sometimes don't touch a models for days and weeks) I was happy to end the relationship, and get back to building for myself. My IPMS Chapter has always been involved with building models for the Intrepid in NYC, and many of mine ended up there. But it was a much more relaxing project, with plenty of time to build your project. We'd get months to do it, not days. And now they are also involved in building for the USS New Jersey.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 10:15 AM UTC
Did they make the ew Jersey a memorial like the Mighty Mo ? I hope so a fitting end for a proud and storied ship. I hope the same happens to the Wisky and the Iowa. A bit of trivia here. the Wisconsin ran agound or smacked anothr ship which damaged her bow. Rather than rebuild it, they took the front off the Kentucky which was going to be scapped (unfinished). Hence the name WIS - KY. Ain't that cute !
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 04:30 PM UTC
Yep... The Jersey is back in Jersey, down Camden.
 _GOTOTOP