_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
More On Hobby Rooms ( War Room)
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2002 - 05:06 AM UTC
Before I get going here, maybe Jim would let us all send in pictures of our work areas to give those interested some ideas of their own.
I also want to point out that even though I have this great set-up - WHAT MAKES A MODEL IS OUR GOD GIVEN TALENT & OWN 2 HANDS - NOT ELABORATE HOBBY ROOMS. ANYONE CAN BUILD A GREAT MODEL ON THEIR KITCHEN TABLE.
**************************************************************************************************
OK - I really enjoyed Gunnies post on his work space - NICE JOB GUNNIE ! I too have to be completely organized. It's just the way i am comfortable with.
. I just refinished the rest of my basement hobby room with sheet rock & insulation.
Like Gunnie, everything has it's place ( magnetic toolbars - Home-made paint rack
hung next to my desk - Tupperware containers to hold all my Wooland Scenics material for dioramas - Modeling reference books ).
One thing I did was i mounted my old king-size waterbed headboard right on top of my desk
I have the far right section for all my sand paper, masking tapes, toothpicks, various size clothespins i use as clamps, & tack-cloths.
The far left section is for all my Airbrush bottles & paint accessories. Also there, i have 3 small plastic boxes with 6 seperate comparments in each that store my powdered pastels .
The middle section houses all my glues, micromask, putties. extra hobby knife blades, drill bits. On the very top of the headboard are all my thinners, solvents, etc. Then in front is my paint brush rack & tool storage organizer from Micro-Mark tools.
Finally i have shelf space to the left and right of me. I just turn to the right to do my airbrushing. I have 2 windows for cross ventilation, and a box fan in one of them.
I like to keep everything out in the open where i can see it, and it is at arms length.
The one thing i'm debating, is weather to bring all my W.W.II books down into the room or leave them upstairs in my house.
My next plan is to put a combination 13" TV/VCR in my hobby room so I could have somr W.W.II documentaries rolling on the screen while modeling.
Like I stated maybe Jim will let us show our space on the forum. I need to get a digital camera however.
Also, I'm sorry i missed Fridays chat. I got a vaccine for Hepatitis, and I came down with a HUGE SPLITTING HEADAHCE from the side effects. I 'll see ya all this Friday.
And Rob ( SABOT) thanks again for the "hull down" illustrations & info.
- ralph
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2002 - 05:44 AM UTC
I agree with you there - no fancy setup will guarantee a fabulous model. I just evolved into mine after a long time being sequestered in the corner of a one-bedroom apartment. Mine is just a stepping stone on the way to a custom designed workshop - one day...

Gunnie
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2002 - 07:44 AM UTC
I would be happy to set up a Workbenches album that users could have their own personal folders in an upload projects they are currently working on. I have been trying to envision a Feature section that uses the album in conjunction with the gallery album. But not getting to far on that idea. I could however add a field in the member profile that would link back to your personal workbench area.

Whatcha think?
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2002 - 07:54 AM UTC
I think it could be fun - but BEFORE everyone gets out the duster and vacuum cleaners - I think it would be even more interesting to take a real picture of the work area - during the middle of building models. My place might be organized and neat most of the time - but in the throes of modeling I know it gets thrashed like everyone elses! Hell, I had the Holiday off work today, and since I finished my M10 Tank Destroyer over the weekend, I spent the day doing my typical Closing Ceremony - cleaning the workshop and putting everything back into place to start "fresh". It's taken me all day to find Artoo Detoo again

Gunnie
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2002 - 02:06 PM UTC
Jim, yes that is a great idea. I for one like to see other modelers set-up's.
I like to see others idea's, they help incorporate maybe somehting that I myself might have looked over or forgot, or even a better alternative to things.
Hey, your the Boss. That's why i asked first.
Gunnie, you have to admit though - Having that nice organized hobby room
sure helps, and is like our own little modelers paradise
Ahhhhhhhh YES, - I too remember that little cramped corner in
my Mom's kitchen. (LOL)
- ralph
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2002 - 09:47 PM UTC
Hi Iīm anxious to see your workplaces, send in the pics right now!
For myself I could say that my kitchenīs table isnīt that good to show you up Letīs movie boys...
 _GOTOTOP