Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
GET OUT AND VOTE!!!
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 547 Posts
KitMaker Network: 268 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2004 - 12:57 PM UTC
I dont care who you support GET OUT AND VOTE!!

We here all know the kinds of sacrifices our Armed Forces and other citizens have made to make our country what it is-- dont forget it --go vote, its the most basic thing any citizen of a democracy can do!

Sean
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2004 - 02:34 PM UTC
I disagree. Anyone that needs to be told to vote, in my opinion, probably shouldn't. I mean, how much could that person actually know about the issues? I haven't missed an election since I was 18, local or national. Anyone that is heading out tomorrow because P Diddy and MTV told them to should just stay home, as far as I am concerned.
My favorite Churchill quote, "I used to be a firm believer in a representative democracy until I met 5 registered voters."

Just my two cents, as I said. I will be in line at 6:00 when the polls open here and took Wednesday off so I can stay up and watch the late returns...

Shaun

Oh, and I think you ought to at least know how many electoral college votes your state has before they let you vote in a national election. Would it be asking too much to expect voters to at least understand the basics of the process? What ever happened to civics class?

Flame on...
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 547 Posts
KitMaker Network: 268 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2004 - 02:40 PM UTC
I agree with you keenan, I think the lack of political knowledge in the average US citizen is frightening, I think alot of that stems from people being too comfortable and taking their rights for granted...and I'm not telling people to vote....merely saying how much it means to me.

Sean
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2004 - 03:18 PM UTC
While I think that that phrase is being over used and taken somewhat out of context, the idea that one should vote is a must. The context many take it is the way SonofaVet states: that, in its simplist form, someone told them to vote The WHOLE statement that, more than not, follows is "I don't care who you support, just GET OUT AND VOTE! Know your candidates, research throughly, and VOTE!" Now this only applies to most people. If you do not like your choices, exercising your right NOT to vote is more than encouraged. If you feel that you are pressured, that due to the reported closeness of it, you should vote, DON'T VOTE! But that ,as far as I can tell, this will be a very close race, your vote will count.

I am 18 and this is my first election. As my first year in a politically active college, this issue is VERY close to me. I AM voting. And if you want you voice to be heard: VOTE. However if you want your silence heard, then don't vote (note that this is different from "However if you don't want your voice heard then don't vote"). This is my opinion and I take am proud that I can speak it.

Jeff Edgar
crossbow
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 1,387 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2004 - 08:04 PM UTC
Hmm, in Belgium voting is obligatory. So what do you get... A party with not so sound political action points is now one of the biggest party's. Because people have to vote, they vote for the party that could turn out to be not so nice...

According to a recent study, if voting wasn't obligatory over here, that party would lose about 56% of their current voters...

Note, in Belgium there are about 8 parties per region to vote for.

Kris
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2004 - 09:36 PM UTC
Here where I live (Galicia,NW Spain), we have taken democracy to new levels. Not only the living get to vote, but in many of the villages the dead are also included in the democratic process....

Seriously though, although many of the European media are full of the usual horror stories about electoral abuse in the U.S. elections - they fail (as usual) to look beyond their own doorsteps

No democratic system is perfect, however, the U.S. system works as well as others. At least in the (much-maligned) state of Florida, political dissent can be expressed - something which is not permitted 90 miles away in Cuba...

Have a good election guys!....Jim
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2004 - 10:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Here where I live (Galicia,NW Spain), we have taken democracy to new levels. Not only the living get to vote, but in many of the villages the dead are also included in the democratic process....

Mmmmmmhhh and you thought you took Democracy to new levels??? In the last elections in Holland 1,6 million Dutch people voted for a guy who was killed a week before the elections started. You can say that it was done as an act of sympathy but in all reality voting for a dead guy doesn`t make sense

FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2004 - 11:45 PM UTC
Ola James

Quoted Text

faust it isn't about voting for the person but more for what they stand for and represent as their beliefs... the person or candidate is merely a figure head.

I`m aware of that but still on the other hand he was dead but still on the list as Candidate.
Our Government/parliament is already a slow machine and I can`t see that being improved by putting a dead man to lead it.

USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 01:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

good job this tax payer guy has loads of money to bail them out of the crap again...sure wish he'd loan me some cash !

While I know your point, I don't think the 400M pounds came from HIS pocket. If he loaned you cash, it would really just be your money in the first place.

But back on the subject of voting...

Jeff
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 01:42 PM UTC
votings probly a bad thing if you want my advice lol... we always end up electing some one who wastes our money... in canada, they tried to register firearms... guess what, turned out to cost a hell of a lot more and hasnt doen nothing good, only wasted millions of dollars!!! and now were stuck with the worst budget in schools! they charge us on EVERYTHING! our school is falling apart! lol... and our hospitals are pretty bad...

so, i somehow wonder if we should realy vote. no matter what, they will find a nice and easy way to waste our hard earned money, let it be on war or on having new laws to try and " reduce" crimes.
Frank
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 01:49 PM UTC
I am curious about voting for the dead guy. Even if you supported the dead guys values and wanted him to win when he was alive, are you sending a message to the living opponent by voting for a dead guy? I mean all the opponent needs is one qualifying vote to beat a disqualified dead person. Perhaps your laws are different but where I live a dead person is automatically disqualified for inability to perform the job. You run the risk of having your entire ballot invalidated if you vote for an ineligible candidate. Therefore where I live it is not the smart thing to do by voting for a dead candidate.
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 02:25 PM UTC
Here in the U.S.....we are seeing it done as I type!!!!! Ok ..I said enough!!!!!
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 09:39 AM UTC
lol, your right, if only it were millions... i wasnt to sure bout the numbers, all i knew is that they were big!

my dad had to give away his 410, .22 caliber handgun ( it was so freakin nice!) because it was so much trouble getting the course and getting the registration and all, so my mom got fed up and had teh cops come over...

i mean, what was my dad doing wrong, they were locked up, he brought them once a year up north to a pit were there isnt no one aroudn for kilometers, but if you get arested by the cops for teh heck of it and the yfind the gun, well your in big crap... to bad laws are generalized

Frank