TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
The Alamo
tango20
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
entire network: 1,281 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 04:40 PM UTC
Hi all just got the film Alamo out on video quite enjoyed it how accurate is the film didnt know Davey Crockett was the last to die,or was he or did he whoes to know.
Cheers Chris Tango 20
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 04:49 PM UTC
The precise events are lost ot history. Some reports indicate Crockett was among those execued by Santa Ana's men (John Wayne and Walt Disney be ) . Last to die seems as unlikely as Custer being the last to die at Greasy Grass/Little Big Horn.

That being said, I rather enjoyed the movie when I saw it with a friend last spring. Al things consiodered, it's probably the best movie on the subject.

Sort of a precursor to the Civil War in that the issue being contested was slavery. The Mixicans were opposed to the importation of slavery while the "Texicans" wanted to keep thesl;aves they had as they immigrated to Mexico.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 07:04 PM UTC
I think the initial sentientality started the Davy Crockett myth as potrayed by Fess and the Duke. He was a big national hero before he met his demise and the natio would here of nothing else but his continued heroism. But as stories from the survivors started to weigh more it has come out that Davy was executed and did die bravely when he didn't take the option to beg for his life.
DD-393
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 97 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2004 - 01:34 AM UTC
There's a real controversy over Davy Crockett's demise. A Mexican officer wrote in his memoirs that Crockett was captured with several others and executed afterwards, much as depicted in the movie. The authenticity of these memoirs has caused quite a stir in the historical community, especially with the release of the movie.

I personally enjoyed the movie. I thought that it really captured the feelings of the times. Plus, one of the gents in my Civil War Unit taught the Mexican army Scott's Manual of Arms. He's also in the DVD. One hour and forty minutes into the movie, with the Mexicans attacking, there's a frightening looking fellow lighting the rocket launcher (that historically probably was not there). That's him.

-Charlie
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2004 - 04:19 AM UTC
This is very interesting - it's only just been released in the movie theaters here, so i'll wait until it's out on DVD before I see it...

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the filn a bit more 'pro-mexican' than the other versions? I dunno where i got this from, but as far as I can gather, it seems like an attempt to make a more serious movie...Jim
woodstock74
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,189 Posts
KitMaker Network: 343 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 03:25 PM UTC
For whatever reason this movie was slammed by the critics. I quite enjoyed it and my wife did as well. Its the most historically accurate movie about the Alamo (the Disney/Wayne one was dire...) to date. Definetly check it out if you can.