_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Built a work bench need a good light source
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 347 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 02:13 AM UTC
Hehe I finally built something.

After years of working on my lap and drafting table the local Canadian Tire Store (our Version of Home Depot) had a sale and for 70.00 Canadian bucks I scored myself a decent metal workbench. :-)

After putting it together I realized the overhanging shelf blocks out my light from above. I don't want lamps on the table top (though I will have one there anyway)but I was wondering if a flourescent light is the only option to hang in the 48 in long by 8 inch wide upper shelf area.

I am not a big fan of fluorescent tube lighting as it tends to give me a headache...

Cheers, Michael
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 02:18 AM UTC
how about one of these

salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 796 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 02:46 AM UTC
Here's a good system.

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=48674-1390-G9165WHI

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productList&catalogId=B040800
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 03:18 AM UTC
I use a pederstal light with a halogen bulb. the bulb is like a car headlight with two parts. High and low.

Halogen is the best but you can get fluorescent tubes that 'mimic' real daylight and I suggest that if you go that way to try them.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 05:07 AM UTC
Aurthor, it is just like Cliff said, he give some real good choices. The thing about fluorescent is, if you get a real cheap set up, you will get a headache.

I got such a set up out in my garage, but sense it isn't used for close use it doesn't bother me, now the one I got in my extending magnifying glass, that is ten times smaller, but cost five times more to replace, but it does a great job. No headache, and I can see everything I need to, I just pull it over to where I need it.

Sometimes I use the magnifyer it has, or I just use the light from it when I'm using my optivisor, I pull the light over top of me.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 06:24 AM UTC
I personally use an Ott Light.. True Color daylight lamp.

I personally use the 13watt tabletop model and its great for seeing parts and paint colors. and I don't think i've ever got a headache while building models under it.

here is a link to some of their lighting solutions for Model building... LOL basicly their standard line with blurb desc for modelers..

True Color Daylight Ott Lighting

below is their basic blurb quoted from the site

"If your passion is building lifelike models, precision is important. To do this, you must be able to see the finest details and distinguish between different shades and colors. OTT-LITEŽ TrueColor™ lighting helps you work faster and with an ease you never dreamed possible. Specially formulated to bring the benefits of natural daylight indoors, you'll see colors and details with startling accuracy. No matter what kind of model you're making, it'll turn out better with OTT-LITEŽ TrueColor™ lighting."

They also list 48" ott lighting flourest tubes .. I've seen the lights and bulbs for sale at Dick Blick Craft stores and some in other craft and painting stores. There alre also a lot of "low cost" imitations out there so judge for yourself on the prices..

In my opionion the Ott Lights are the best lights i've ever used for my model building

GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 06:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

its not that difficult and its not that big of a deal, just get a lamp.

- I love sensible responses! Can't add anymore to this - get something you're comfortable with and can see what you're doing!

Gunnie
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 07:17 AM UTC
When I switched to the day-light bulbs, at home, I got a whole new out-look on light. For myself, they are worth the few extra bucks. And since I only replaced them as the old ones burnt out, it wasn't a bank breaker either. When I build at work, I have two old desk lamps on the deck to help light the desk areas.
puppy
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 11 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 08:35 AM UTC
I use fluros.

I am not an expert but I have learned a few things over the years about them.

There are basically two "types" of tubes for fluros: warm & cool.

Warm bulbs give off a redish light, that gives me a headache & isnt as easy to see detail in, I dont use them, I dont recomind them.

Cool bulbs give off a whiteish light, that seems more natural & seems to be easier to make details out in, these are what I use, and would recomind.

A basic 4 foot, two bulb, hang from the ceiling, plug directly into the wall, fluro fixture will run you anywhere between 4-12 dollars (US).

All you'll need to do is put a couple of anchors bolts in the ceiling & run a couple of small chain down.

You can also buy smaller fixtures, that you could attach to the underside of a shelf, either with or without the ability to plug directly into a power outlet, depending on if you are wanting to run the wires through the walls & into a switch or not.

I have several fluros in various places around the house, at my workbench, over the kitchen sink, in closets & cabinets, etc.

To be honest they are far superior to regular incandesent lighting, I would really like to replace all of the lighting in the house with fluros becouse I freaking hate constantly changing light bulbs & fluro tubes seem to last for years.

Anyway, you can see my lighting set up over in the workbench thread, I've a dual tube, 4' fluro fixture, hanging over the workbench, I have a 2' fluro fixture tacked on the far right wall (incase I need light hitting a project from the side), & I have an old incadesent clamp light up on one of my tool box's that is easy to move around if needed.

You can never have enough light!

Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 604 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 11:33 AM UTC
I'm with Straightedge. Stretch-arm magnifying inspection lights can put the light where you want it, and they come with flouescent or regular light sources. One of the advantages is that you can position them to show how differant lighting angles will show up in your pix.

Art
Babva
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 141 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 02:24 AM UTC

I have been very happy with my Tensor desk top... natural daylight lamp. My eyes said a "Big" thank you when I switched.

The better 1/2... does a lot of needle point and swears by them.

Tensor
cardinal
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 492 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 03:13 AM UTC
I too use an Ott-Lite that has the magnifier & it has been very useful to me in doing my builds. It may be a bit pricey but if you look around good enough you might just get one at a bargain. I got mine for only around $40.
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 03:22 AM UTC
Here's my two cents. I have the small Halogen undershelf spots, even on a rheostat. Fair.

I went to a 92% accurate color fluorescent light bulbs and loved the color accuracy, but the humming drove me nuts.

Just changed my main lighting to electronic ballast lights with T-3 (1" diameter) bulbs. No hum, instant on. longer lasting, less electricity.

I use an Ott light for task work. What do you think?

Sealhead
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 03:25 AM UTC
oops. Forgot. Another trick we use at work. If fluorescent lights give you a headache, its because of the "sterile" cool color (and/or the buzzing). You can also use a combination of warm and cool bulbs (or the tru-color bulbs).

Be sure to avoid mismatching. In other words, in a four bulb fixture the inner two bulbs work off of one ballast and the outer two work off another. Not only should you put the exact same bulbs (type and brand) per ballast, but if one burns out, replace both or you will be replacing a more expensive and harder to handle ballast. So, it is written. So, shall it be done!

Sealhead
 _GOTOTOP