_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Anyone know a good place to start?
modelsrus
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 8 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 02:16 AM UTC
I am just getting back into modelling. Ok..it has been a number of years, but I have this urge to build something.

I went to the hobby store to choose a model, and have discovered there are about 10,000 (exaggerated), new model manufacturers since I was a kid. (Have I just "dated" myself here?????")

What is a simple, yet fairly challenging "name brand" to start with? I do not want a "snap together" kind of model, like I said, I do want one with a bit of challenge to it, but go easy on me.....

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.
HILBERT
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 4,808 Posts
KitMaker Network: 360 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 02:31 AM UTC
Mabe tamiya or something...
wait...... first of all... welcome on armorama.
tamiya are good kits not to difficult... but isn't not the easiest to.

this is a good manufacturer...

gr hilbert
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 6,760 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,139 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 02:45 AM UTC
Hi Ed
Velcome to Armorama. Glad you have joined us.

If tanks are your thing then here's a few kits that might be good starters

Tamiya's M41 Walker Bulldog
Tamiya's T-62
Italeri's M24 Chaffee
Italeri's Ferdinand VK-4501Tiger prototype

They are all pretty good kits. Not to dificult.

modelsrus
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 02:48 AM UTC
WOW! I only "just" posted my question and already, so much help has come my way! And warm welcomes are terrific too!!! I am IMPRESSED! I am also very grateful! Thank you!
modelsrus
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 02:59 AM UTC
Thank you very much HILBERT, let's hope I learn a lot while on here!

One thing I am wondering though, is, does it only have to be Armor that I am posting about?

I am also interested in Aircraft, Dioramas, Figures, Automobiles.
modelsrus
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 03:00 AM UTC
Thank you very much Hwa-Rang, what a quick response, I have a good feeling about this site already!!!!
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 03:33 AM UTC
Ola Ed

Well In my opinion any Italeri release would be suitable to get the feeling back. Maybe some lack details or are not accurate but Almost all the Italeri models would built up well without too many big problems or fit issues.
Tamyia is maybe a tad harder to do but also if you have any experience on building kits that wouldn`t be a too big problem either. Just leave the After Market Stuff for what it is untill you are ready to do that.

To get the modeling feeling back Italeri and Tamyia are the way to go.

Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 6,760 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,139 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 03:41 AM UTC
Hi again Ed
It's not just armor, posted here. There's Figures, dio's, aircraft, sci-fi and automobiles(Haven't seen any non military though)
perhaps a new forum for automobiles?
puppy
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 11 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 04:06 AM UTC
Ed,

I am just getting back into modeling myself after a 20 some-odd year absence.

The Tamiya kit I am currently working on (sdkfz 251/1) has maybe 150-160 pieces, its fairly detailed, & easy to assemble if you have previous modeling experiance.

There were a couple of pieces with "flash" & mold lines on them, but nothing too bad & it was easily removed with a razor & a small file.

Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 04:17 AM UTC
I myself was in the same dilemia about 3 years ago..

My first Military kit was Tamiya's M3A1 Half-track. not easy to find but a great build..

another easy to find and faily easy build is the Tamiya panzer II.. and its cheap so you could buy a couple. about $10. makes a nice model..

Dragon/DML kits tend to have more parts and also smaller parts.. sometimes a radio tamiya would make in 1 peice can come in 9 or 10 peices in a DML kit.. so those are not for the faint of heart..

The new Italani DUKW was also a nice easy build.

IF you decide to do aircraft.. start with single engine ones first before moving on to larger ones to build your skills..

and here is the most important part.. financeing your hobby.. It took me a year to get my workbench up to speed..

I started with the basic tools and after that I went to the hobby shop every week and spent about $10 each time either on a small tool or a couple bottles of paint or other supplies.. and every now and then bought something a bit more pricey..

My airbrushs I saved up and got at MIchales Art and craft stores and A.C. Moore craft stores. useing 40% and 50% off coupons on any item you find in the local papers around these stores. got theair compressor the same way.

I've bought most of my "stash" (read unbuilt kits) on sale or off bargin racks and my favorite resource for kits is e-bay. the rule of thumb I use is if the bid price plus the shipping cost. is more than half of what the kit costs in the local hobby shops then i stop bidding.

Not easy to get bargins like that but if you wait long enough you can.. some examples i've gotten this way is tamiya's duce and a half for a total of $18, Tamiya's M8 and M20 Armored cars for $40 for both. and my best bargin a pro modeler Ju-88 that cost me $9

and belive me its easy to get more kits than you have time to build.. i've been active for about 3 years and have about 40 unbuilt kits stashed.

also remember OOB is still modeling.. (OOB= out of box) so You don't have to go aftermarket with PE and Resin right off the bat.

garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 1,969 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 04:29 AM UTC
Welcome to Armorama Ed! My choices for starting out again would be:

Armor- Tamiya 1/35 M4A3 Sherman tank.

Ships- Tamiya 1/350 Fletcher class destroyer.

Aircraft- Tamiya 1/48 F6F Wildcat.

Did I say Tamiya? Seems that Tamiya has set a trend that all models are judged by. They are nice model kits!

HTH,

Garry
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
entire network: 5,182 Posts
KitMaker Network: 242 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 04:44 AM UTC
Welcome to Armorama and to Modeling, Ed!
If you need inspiration (and advice) you have find the right place!!

Although I'm into the "Wet Side of Modeling" - mainly submarines, I also would like to help...

A manufacturer also of good quality and with a good ratio quality / price:
Trumpeteer

- LCM 3 - could be a nice start (easy and impressive, and you could put it on a Diorama);
- Any of the subs - easy to build
- Any of their planes

Tamiya is a good choice, though!
But the main point is: choose whatever you thing it will give you the most FUN potential!!!!
Remember that this is a hobby and it is supposed to be FUN

Skipper
Komet
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 82 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 05:02 AM UTC
Hi Ed,
Welcome to "the big A" (that is what everyone says...)

I would advize you to buid afew of these to get back,
I do not know how experinced you are though...;
Prices all in EUROS www.plasticmodelbouw.nl (dutch site)

Italeri 1:35

Kubelwagen 8,50
Schwimmwagen 8,50
BMW R75 with Sidecar

US Willy's Jeep with Trailer 8,50
M101 105mm Howitzer 8,50
DUKW 26,50

Tamiya 1:35 this is my favorite producer

German Armored Car Sdkfz. 222 13,50
Horch Personelwagon Type 1A 15,50
German Sdkfz. 223 Armored Car 14,50 (I like this one)
German Sdkfz. 250/3 Greif 22,50

British Sp Air Services Jeep 11,50 (nice for dioramas)
GAZ 67B Russian Jeep 11,75
US Amphibian Ford G.P.A 13,75 (Smaller version of the DUKW)
British Universal Carrier Mk II 19.50
M20 Armored Utility Car 33,50

If you look on the site, you can see that Italeri is much cheaper than Tamiya. Though I think Tamiya is easier to build (nice sprues) and ................ Jusy my favorite (already said that )

Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 374 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 05:22 AM UTC
First off, welcome to the site! I too am relatively new here, but the family has been quite a help to me.

I felt the same way when I went back into a hobby shop - "where the heck did all these companies come from?" Since I started modeling again back in July, I've dabbled in both aircraft and armor.

For armor, I've found that Tamiya and Italeri have been terrific kits to jump into. Enough challenge to make it worthwhile, with excellent fit for the most part. My first armor kit was Tamiya's M1A1, which was very satisfying to me. Even the much maligned Hanomag 251 (old kit) was a fun build to test my skills out on.

For aircraft, I've really got to say that I've gotten a kick out of revisting the old standby - Revell-Monogram. They may be old molds in some cases, and maybe not the best fit, but there's been something very satisfying in building their aircraft. I remember the good ole P-61 Black Widow giving me fits as a teen and it was a pleasure to tackle it as an adult and make it look good (at least to me).

I agree about the complexity of Dragon kits. I picked up a NATO MLRS recently and prompty put it into the stash until I'm a bit more accomplished (and have a lot more time to deal with the gazillion pieces!)

In any case, build what you enjoy and don't let the latest craze influence you. The folks on this site are incredibly supportive.
HILBERT
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 4,808 Posts
KitMaker Network: 360 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 05:24 AM UTC
I can recommend the Sd.Kfz 171 Panther from dragon.
it's good kit, but it need some experience.
The kit have also a PE set and a alluminium barrel.

I build it too and I love this kit.
I had never build a tank from dragon but it is a very good manufacturer.

I hope this will helps with your search for a good kit.

Gr Hilbert
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 06:38 AM UTC
Hi Ed welcome to the big "A" I started back with Tamyias Tiger 1 very easy to build but makes a good model.i would reccomend any of Tamyias smaller kits to start back.
mlb63
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 199 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 02:18 PM UTC
hi Ed welcome to Armorama.i have to agree with Easy Co i would stick to Tamiya maybe some of their older kits until you get situated.a kubel or pink panther?
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 02:33 PM UTC
welcome! i personally like tamiya, not to hard, but not at the snap togther level, they've got good molding details etc..
tango20
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
entire network: 1,281 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 02:43 PM UTC
Hi Ed
Welcome to Armorama you are right this a first class site all are very helpful just like a big family,i have just got back into modling after a very long lay off and moved to the us from uk,i wantrd to check out a model i purchased the other day and had a wonderfull response info e-mailed pics advice really great,dont be afraid to ask even if you think its daft i ask daft questions all the time .
Happy modling Chris tango 20
steeldog51
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,114 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 09:33 PM UTC
Hey Ed and welcome to the big A
cant go wrong with anything german !!!! oh o.k. i'm bias! :-) there are a lot of cool kits out there like faust said italeri are very good some are oldish kits but still cut it with todays standards .
in my opinion good manufacturers are dragon ,tamiya,italeri,revell (these are some re-boxed dragon kits)
most will give you a bit of a challenge but not make you tear your hair out
and will make a neat looking model in the end!
welcome again Ed
hope to talk more in the near future!!!!
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 09:51 PM UTC
for softskins you really can't go past the lastest Tamiya Jeep or their GMC 6X6 truck kit. These are excellent builds straight out of box.
Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 853 Posts
KitMaker Network: 275 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 10:22 PM UTC
I started out with Tamiya.

Tamiya are good kits to start with.

Angela
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 347 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 01:55 AM UTC
Welcome to Armorama.

Members here rock!

I too was in your situation. I came back after over a decade of "hobby wandering".

My first build was an easy Tamiya Kettenkrad. Not much on the detail and probably too easy for you...

My mistake was leaving Tamiya for a Maquette Panzer 38t. I heard mixed reviews about the kit and company but caught a "sale". Now I know why this kit was on sale.

I found the kit to have a poor fit and too much clean up for my tastes. To top it off my first foray into track links was a failure as the links were poorly molded and too much work to make useable. Bottom line read the reviews and ask questions before buying.

I agree for over all consistency Tamiya is great! But consider the kits below...

I have a Tamiya WIllys Jeep on my workbench (I know it ain’t German) but everything I read about it point to it as a good build OOB.

The DUKW from Italeri (as has been mentioned) is also a good place to start.

One more I have seen and read about is the Trumpeter WWII US Navy LCM (3) Landing Craft
1/35 Kit No. 00347

Though Trumpeter has been knocked a bit in the past their new releases have been great!

Any other questions don't hesitate to post.

Cheers, MSW
 _GOTOTOP