_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Noobie!! HELP!!!
LittleNick
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 147 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 02:22 PM UTC
i have just started modeling and i have looked at a couple of peoples workbench and i noticed that they outline the seams and details on the base in black, i dont understand why they do this, also how do you get the small details to stick out in a model like the rivets on the base.

thankz

nick
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 03:21 PM UTC
Okay, welcome to the hobby. It's a great thing, and the people you meet are some the best people in the world. First of all, the outline is made by washes, as are the rivets. They (the modelers) do this in order to show detail that one might miss if they didn't do it. A wash is a thinned-out mixture of paint and thinner. I'll let the experts take it from here. Thanks for your time.
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,255 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 05:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...i noticed that they outline the seams and details on the base in black, i dont understand why they do this, also how do you get the small details to stick out in a model like the rivets on the base. thankz nick

I under coat models and bases - including buildings, streets rubble etc - in black. Two main reasons.

1. ART 101 - to show light you must have dark. The black act to enhance the color on top of it and to contrast in area that are dry brush and highlighted.

2. Black cover errors... if I miss a spot while painting it stands out and sometimes - particularly on base, ground work and buildings - it act as a shadow and covers a multitude of sins.... Modeling Sins only!

3. As for those details popping out “Dry brushing” and then highlighting in white or graphite – pencil lead – seem to make everything pop! (examples below)

Hope that helps. If not, ask away this is a great place to get help and info!

John
www.johnneill.com

_GOTOTOP