_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Testor's Decal System
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 1,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2004 - 10:09 AM UTC
Has anyone tried this stuff?

Wal-Mart carries it and I was wondering if it is worth the whopping $5.39 they are asking for it. (For that price I might try it anyway.)

It comes with a CD containing a graphics program, inkjet printer decal sheets, and a rattle can of something.

Is the program on the disk any good? How is the quality of the decals? Do they play nice with setting solutions?

Is there an easier way of making your own decals?
Photoshop, a Microsol product and a printer?

Thanks in advance.
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2004 - 10:39 AM UTC
hi Keith,
a rattle can of something is clear fixative. i didnt try this kit but not very positive comments .please read this
best regards
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2004 - 11:22 AM UTC
I haven't used the decal kit you are talking about specifically, but have used Testors ink-jet decal paper with no problems at all. Not sure what the guy over at the car forum did to his decals, but I have never had a problem with the inks dissolving after they have been sealed. I highly recommend their decal papers. Hey, if it doesn't work, you are only out $5 and some change. I would definitely give it a try.
Selrach
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 466 Posts
KitMaker Network: 49 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2004 - 11:38 AM UTC
Testors system should work alright. I would recomend using another graphics proggy like Photoshop or some such. Remember to set the right paper size for the printer.
SgtWilhite
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 470 Posts
KitMaker Network: 93 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2004 - 11:55 AM UTC
I have used the Testor's decal kit a few times. It comes with a clear and a white shett of decal paper. The spray can is the clear coting to cover the decal after you print it. You can trim the decal as close to the image as you need without leaving a lot of clear overage. The disk that comes with the kit has only a few images on it. You can upgrade it through the Testor's site. I used it to print the markings on a model car that I built like my patrol car. You can use any image that you can photograph or download. I use the print shop option on the computer and make the images as I want them to look. Overall it's a pretty good system at a pretty good price.
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 1,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 03:41 AM UTC
Thanks Guys,
Lots of pro's and con's out there. But like I said, for the price I will pick it up and try it. Especially since it comes with white sheets.

I'll let ya know how it works.

All this to get 1/87th scale Bundeswehr markings for ROCO modern German 'kits'...
 _GOTOTOP