_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
microsol problem
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2004 - 06:41 AM UTC
Jut put on some Microsol on my turret I'm doing and the decal has disintigrated anyone know how to remove the decal? or am I going to have to sand it all off?:_| BTW it seems to eat into Humbrols Clear enamel varnish
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2004 - 06:53 AM UTC
Microsol is pretty strong stuff it may have indeed eaten into the clear coat.

You should be able to remove the decal by wetting it with Microset and then "float" or wipe it off.

Microsol and very thin or old decals don't mix well. Always try Microset first, if you need to get the decal to conform to an uneven surface use Microsol sparingly.
KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 641 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2004 - 08:10 AM UTC
Hi Davy,
With Microsol, you have to be careful, but it is easy to use. The principle is the same with when I decal cars. While the decal is sitting in water, take some Microset, brush the area where your decal is going to go. Apply the decal, get it into the right position, then apply some Microsol to the entire decal with a brush, then don't do anything!! Just let it sit. It will start to wrinke, but don't do anything with it, it's supposed to do that. Come back after 10 or 20 minutes, you will find that the decal has conformed to the surface, zimmeret, etc, and is nice and flat. Wait overnight, then either airbrush or hand brush on some clearcoat to seal in.

If your decals look like they are cracked from age on the decal sheet it self, try Microscale's Decal Glue? (I think that's what it's called) Brush on a coat while the decal is still on the sheet, and when dry cut out and trim the excess as close to the decal and apply like you normally would. Hope this helps!
-Kelly
KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 641 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2004 - 08:11 AM UTC
oops, forgot to add, Chuck is also right on the removal of the decal, use the Microset to remove, or vinegar works as well.
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2004 - 08:58 AM UTC
Have you tryed pressing some tape over the decal and lifting it off.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2004 - 12:26 PM UTC
i used microset and microsol for years. Many have given the right method of using the two solutions. However, once i faced stubborn decal that wont comform and react with the solutions and cant be removed and didnt seem to react with microset. So my final solution is to sand the decal with 800 grit and then 1500 grit sandpaper.
whodini
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 359 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2004 - 01:14 PM UTC
Hmmm,

Whenever I use micro sol It never works, Even with a little or a lot.
It Wouldn't melt the decal at all! even with micro set.

Is micro set just really strong vinegar?

Rob
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,144 Posts
KitMaker Network: 230 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2004 - 06:42 PM UTC
I have just used it on a test vehile (Revell 1/24 Williams F1). Micro set indeed smells like it is vinegar. Anyways, it worked like a treat. As a matter of fact, the Microsol even made the decals conform to some uneven paint...

Next test-object: a Mig-27
 _GOTOTOP