_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Returning Modeller
TUNA
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 449 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 02:40 PM UTC
All AZteks suck that way....

Get a Paasche or a Badger or Iwata

Dump the Aztek.. I dumped mine!!!

and also

Welcome to Armorama!!!
MajKoenig
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 37 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 02:54 PM UTC
Okay, I have looked into a Paasche VL as well. Like I said, I hate to give up the Aztek. Since I already have tips in the mail, I may just buy a Paasche and use my Aztek I currently have as well.

Also, do the Paasche models have gravity feed? That is the one thing I like about the Aztek as I hate wasting paint in siphon cups...I am a cheap bastage....
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 902 Posts
KitMaker Network: 121 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 03:03 PM UTC
I have an Aztek as well (4 of them) I love the flexibility they give. Yes there are better Paasche, Iwata, and Badger. For the price in my book the Aztek is a great utility air brush. So my advice is if your comfotable with Aztek then get the upgrade. IMHO
Cougar
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 266 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 03:06 PM UTC
Before you give up on the Aztek, try thining the paints a little more. You may find that it's clogging up cos the paint isn't mixed thoroughly.

What type of paints are you using?

Try using both Enamels and Acrylics, you may find that the brush handles Acrylics a little better.

Quoted Text

That is the one thing I like about the Aztek as I hate wasting paint in siphon cups...

I know you can get colour cups for Badger Airbrushes, not sure about Paasche though. I've been using them with the Badger 200 and 150 for about 7 years, they work very nicely. To clean them, all you need to do is use Mineral Thinners and a Cotton Bud

Cougar

Edit: Try increasing the pressure to around 20 PSI, you may find that the pressure isn't sufficient to force all the paint out the brush, so it therefore sits and eventually clogs.
MajKoenig
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 03:17 PM UTC
I'm spraying acrylics, I have tried thinning them with alcohol as well as water. I am afraid to go thinner on them because they already seem a bit too thin. I have also tried to increase the pressure with no luck.

As for enamels, I am way beyond them. I live in an apartment so acrylic seems much easier and better. Also easier cleanup.

I will be keeping all of my enamels for my brushwork though. On another note, has anyone ever used craft acrylics? The stuff that is like 1.00 for a 2 oz bottle? They seem to me as if they would do alright provided they were thinned a bit.

Thanks for all the help guys, I am just grasping at straws to see what I may have missed. You guys are the experts, I am the newb.
TUNA
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 449 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2004 - 12:35 AM UTC
I still use my Aztek (not gonna throw it out - I'm a cheap bastard too! ) for spraying powders and Future...

just if I had no airbrush right now and was going to choose one.. Aztek would be on the bottom of the list for choices for me..
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2004 - 06:44 AM UTC
i had the same AB as you, worked okay until i had it for a year and the nozzle screwed up.. its WAY to fragile, so i got a badger 150
MajKoenig
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2004 - 12:39 PM UTC
Thanks all for the input, I am the proud owner of a Paasche VL. I had the same problem with the paint in it too, it is either drying too fast of isn't thin enough, i would go with the 1st cause it is thinner than most of my other paints. Oh well, even though I most likely didn't need it, I have a new airbrush which I love. I feel like this thing will last forever, the other one felt like a toy, since I bought tips for it too, I will just use it for hell...I don't know, lol.

Thanks all.
 _GOTOTOP