_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
hydraulic brake lines
redman71
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 68 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 06:53 AM UTC
I've been trying to use very thin solder wire for constructing the hydraulic brake lines on my 1/48 WWII aircraft. However when trying to create a loop or curve in the brake line, the stuff is so soft it always kinks and becomes crooked. Does anyone have any suggestions of what materials to use? I tried music string also and its very difficult to bend
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 07:04 AM UTC
Try Copper wire
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 08:07 AM UTC
Go to your local electronic store and ask to see their range of copper wire.

It comes in a multitude of sizes and just buy some that looks OK to do the brake lines.
Mech
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 281 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 09:08 AM UTC
Hi redman71
I work in building construction, so when I need an assortment of copper wire. I talk to the trades that use it electrical, telephone, escalators, elavators and computer they all have cut offs, A lot of the wire they use are multy strands of diffirent sizes. Your other option is old appliance cords and automotive are multy strands that why they flex.
Cheers
Ralph
redman71
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 68 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 01:07 PM UTC
Thanks for the tips guys...I'm going to give the copper wire a try
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2004 - 09:18 AM UTC
set up a 1x12 board, 12 x 12 inches. useing nails, drywall, set up parrallel rows in the shape that you want your lines to take. heat your solder wire as you groove it thru your form, should take care of problem....

reb
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2004 - 12:50 AM UTC
Radio Shack makes a great item, the only problem is, they are happy with just making one size right now. This stuff is called Buss wire, it is copper wire coated with tin, so it acts just like solder.

I used to have it's part number and everything, but I can't find it right now, but it is made by Radio Shack, and it is called Bus wire, it to hook up fuzes on computers and other things like that.

It costs like 3 dollars for a 50' roll of it, so it is cheap as can be, if they only made it in different sizes we would have it made, cause it is way cheaper then solder, but acts just like it, with that copper wire in the middle.

If enough of us started to ask Radio Shack to make more different sizes, maybe they would.
MadMeex
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
entire network: 424 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 02:24 PM UTC
Or if you want to use the solder, try to use various jigs to bend around - I'm assuming that you're bending free hand here. Take a piece of wood, drill some holes of various sizes into it (leave plenty of space between them), and insert some styrene rods into the holes. Bend the solder around the rods, and it can't kink.

Just a thought,
Mika
troubble27
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 783 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 06:47 AM UTC
You can get the copper wire you want for free. I own a transmission repair shop. I use the copper wire from bad shift solenoids from automatic transmissions. Shift solenoids have a whole spool of very fine copper wire inside. So go to your local transmission shop, buy the manager a cup of coffee and ask him for a bad transmission shift solenoid. If they dont have any, ask him if he can save you one the next time he gets one. IM sure he wouldnt mind as we throw them away when they are bad anyway. Good luck.
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,171 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 01:22 PM UTC
All good suggestions, especially the take something apart ones !!! Taking apart phone wire.

Another source is Michael's -- over in the jewelry kit stuff & flower stuff ...

Also look in hobby shops or online at the car builders stuff, plug wires, fuel lines, etc -- Detail Master & all that ....

I do like the thinner coated wires because they bend more neatly & don't kink ...
 _GOTOTOP