Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Web Site modeling show and contest poll
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 681 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 04:21 AM UTC
I have been wondering since I have alot of free time since my disablitly. I have been trying to think of something to do.

Question of Poll maybe a better word.

What would you guys think of and online show and contest like they have off-line. There would be awards and gift certifates and a small fee to enter ( payable through paypal ) or some sort. And the judges would rotate on a select professionals that would want to judge.

Because some of us can not make it to shows or go to a contest maybe I could bring it to them ( modelers ).. I have some what of a background in web sites was and OLD IT person before I got hurt, maybe I could start something.

I have been going crazy just sitting here and watching TV and modeling so thats my "Quote OCC "IDEAR!""

Let me know if it's a good idea or too much work or it's just not your thing.Just your 2 cents to have me feel out the IDEA.

Happy Modeling
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 04:43 AM UTC
Some quick, random thoghts:

There have been several like this before. One was a monthly event that may or may not be still running. IPMS Puerto Rico had one, briefly. I volunteered as an on-line judge and was asked once to participate.

This site has run "virtual" contests in the past with virtual awards.

Judging becomes difficult since you are limited to the pics provided by the contestants. The quality of the photograph will influence the results.

Keep the award virtual. Perhaps a custom designed certificate e-mailed would be better than a plaque. No additonal cost removing the need to have a pay to participate.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 05:01 AM UTC
I agree with what Al said also you'd have to be sure no one was votting for themselves or getting family/friends to vote for them multiple times it's amazing to see how low people will sink when there money up for grabs .
tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 1,430 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 05:31 AM UTC
i think that idea is a good one..However..i think the awards should be virtual. That elminates confusion. I do think it is a great idea...especially for those who may not be in the position to get out..and get to the model show..
Mary (++)
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 05:46 AM UTC
I did a search engine search and found nothing like it, maybe I did not use the right words because only a few things came up and it was only off-line contest.

The image remark is true that it depends on the quality but there should be some sort of compensation for that. Like that shouldn't be the only factor or make it a small factor some how.

The awards sound great, idea is awsome. Should there be a gift certifacate for the best over all contestent prize.Or is that too much.

Keep the ideas and opinions coming there really helpfull.

Happy Modeling
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 01:23 PM UTC
I would love to participate, if you set it up don't forget to tell us. The hard part is that there are some fine modellers who don't have photography skills, but it would be nice for those of us without the chance to go to real competitions
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 03:30 PM UTC
Hey Tom. I'd like that idea, i too am disabled. I know all to well how you feel. Sit around all day and go to bed, get up and do the same thing you did yesterday knowing what your plans are for tomorrow. Since the accident, my wife copes w/ me, the children don't bother w/ me and the grand daughter i can't do anything with. So sure count me in and i'd like to help in everyway.
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 12:51 PM UTC
Sure I'll let ever one know I would have to set up some kind of web site so you can add your own photo's and I think the rules should be equal for all there will all types of entry contest to the best dio idea, to best photo that type of stuff. So no one would be judged for something they felt they wouldn't win or didn't have a chance to win in.If you know how what I mean. I am just in the planning stages if anyoe has any ideas about rules or any idea let me know by PM or here in the post.

Happy Modeling

Have to ADD RED SOX WILL " NOT WIN WS " :-) :-) :-) :-)
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 03:07 PM UTC
It looks like we could start a club with disabled modelers. I too along with our Mr. Roo are disabled. I wonder how many other members are mobility challenged?