_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Other Ideas
Komet
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 82 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2004 - 10:07 PM UTC
Hello all,
I've just read FAUST's idea for making tent parts from toilet paper. Next to tents, does anyone have good ideas what to make from toilet paper, kitchen paper or even photo or copy paper???

Thanks, I'd love to hear from your ideas...
Komet
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 12:08 AM UTC
Komet, for the longest time I would facial tiisue and epoxy putty to make the masters for bed rolls, etc. I would mix up some two part putty, ie. Milliput, into a small roll about 1/8"-1/4" wide and a couple of inches long. I would then lay out some tissue, and place the putty inside of it. Fold the tissue over on the putty and roll it up. The putty allows for a lesser amount of tissue to be used. A couple of wraps of string for the ties, a coat of diluted white glue and, v'iola, one bed-roll. I wold make up a bunch of these in differing sizes, make silicone molds for them and then cast them in resin. I still have some on hand. I guess I need to make some more. HTH "Q"
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 12:30 AM UTC
Used diluted with thin PVA glue, you can create really good covers for stowage,cargo, guns, cabs etc as it will sag naturally when draped over boxes,railings etc.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 12:45 AM UTC
Ola Komet

Well I hope my article (my very first article, some sentimental value to it :-) :-) ) Was of any use to you
I have another uses to the toilet-paper. It`s very good to make cloths of. Basically you use the same method of making it a little wet and then drape it onto your model. You could add a little white glue to the water this will make the Paper dry up rock hard.
There are a lot of things in and around the house wich are really usefull for modeling.
You name Kitchenpaper/foil well I use both the transparent one as the Aluminum foil. Aluminum foil I have used in DISTRACTION to hide the Sniper under:

The burlap that is rolled aroun dthe barrel of the gun is made from teabag paper rolled around teh barrel and then a couple of drops of CA glue on it. Dries rock hard.
The transparent foil is very usefull for making stuff like those strong canvaslike cloths something like this:

I`m now working on a little vignette of Hawkeye Pierce from the MASH series and in the vignette you will see a piece of the Swamp (The Tent of Hawkeye, Trapper and Frank) The piece of the Swamp will also be made with the Transparent kitchen foil.

Photo and Printerpaper and Transparent sheets
This is quite my area being a Multimedia Designer we do a lot of Printing. Well I make all my signs, posters, Commercial signs, road signs, maps, wallpapers, boxes etc. etc. myself. Look them up on the internet scale them down to the desired size and print them in High quality. Cut them out and glue them with white glue onto whereever you want them. A little example is visible in the first pic of this post.
Transparent sheets are terrific to make windows. And not only vehicle windows the cool thing is that you can make a nice design for a shop or something and print it out, voila you have an instant shopwindow

I use ordinary Khaki-colored sewingthread for ropes etc.

Modeling can be really cheap. The dio called DISTRACTION wich I mentioned before did cost an absolute minimum and in the Article I wrote about it I explain exactly what I used and what it costed me
DISTRACTION Greta`s Revenge On the last page I made a list what I used and what it costed me you`ll be amazed what can be done with a little imagination.

Well these are some little tips that I use more then once. They are easy to do and they look very good
I hope this makes sense to you.

rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2004 - 09:10 AM UTC
clear foil? like cellophane wrap?

reb
Cougar
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 266 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2004 - 01:38 PM UTC
Reading Faust's comment, what about printing insignia's on copy paper and using them on model figures?

Beat's the heck out of trying to paint them

Cougar
 _GOTOTOP