TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
German uniforms in field'gray'?
chuckster
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 12:04 PM UTC
Just about every WWII movie featuring them shows them in gray. Although they are some of my favorite movies, in Battle of the Bulge, Where Eagles Dare, and The Dirty Dozen, all show the German officers in gray uniforms. I was shocked to learn later in life that the real German color was a sort of gray-green. Was there ever a time in WWII that Germans REALLY wore gray, or is that something due to the ignorance of movie producers?
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 12:35 PM UTC
well, it is because when you hear "field grey" you never think about green uniforms. But there is something in between green and grey, and it was not a very uniform color, so I guess some had grey ones.
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 702 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2004 - 11:09 AM UTC
Some of the color photos from the early war period seem to show uniforms that are definitely gray. More often than not, there appears to be a mix of greenish and grayish uniform elements worn in the field early on, with mostly greenish uniforms being the norm later. As Dragonslain said, there was no uniform shade (please pardon the pun) for field green.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2004 - 12:55 PM UTC
yes they were actually a greenish color, i've seen color photos where it looks like a dark green color. MM paint has a color called german field gray, when you paint it on, it turns out to be this greenish color. it is facinating as most people associate german uniforms w/ gray!
chuckster
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2004 - 04:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

it is facinating as most people associate german uniforms w/ gray!

Blame it on Humphrey Bogart. You know the quote from Cassablanca when he talks to the girl about their last meeting in Paris. It goes something like this: 'You wore blue. The Germans wore gray'.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 08:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Blame it on Humphrey Bogart. You know the quote from Cassablanca when he talks to the girl about their last meeting in Paris. It goes something like this: 'You wore blue. The Germans wore gray'.

*shaking my fist* dang you bogart, daaang you haha
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 09:25 AM UTC
If you are old enough or have stumbled upon the comics of GI Combat, Sgt Rock, or Nick Fury and Howling Commandoes from the early 60's the uniforms were gray and everyone wore the Nazi armband. The swastika was also on all the tanks which were gray. People got the color wrong because the preponderance of combat phots's were black and white and of course the name of the color. Don't blame Bogie...(bame the script writer).
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 09:26 PM UTC
I think the film producers get dress and field uniforms confused,I doubt many german officers went to the front looking like male models
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 6,760 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,139 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 08:21 PM UTC
Try this link

http://www.germanmilitaria.com/

Lots of uniforms from SS, heer, kriegsmarine etc.