History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Stalingrad
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 04:33 AM UTC
The German push into Stalingrad in 1942 is viewed as the higwater mark of German's invasion of Russia. Questions for you: Why were they unable to go beyond Stalingrad? If you were running things what would you have done?
thanks
DJ
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 545 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 12:43 PM UTC
DJ,

Right now, funny about it, I am watching "Enemy at the Gates". Great little flim about the ups and downs of war and the hippocracy of the German and Soviet upper staff.

As for your thought about why Germany was not able to get further into Russia, my opinion is that they exceeded their supply lines. This and the stupid insanity of of following a little Corporal (you know who I am refering to) are the main reasons that the German's lost.

As for my plans to further a mithical advance, my opinion would eb to follow something like the Gulf conflict. Total and swift control.

and the abilty to move and switch tactics to further the advance.

Dave
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 01:05 PM UTC
Here is my conclusion from the reading I've done on why the Germans didn't progress after Stalingrad.

1. Hitler thought capturing the city bearing the Stalin's name would be a propaganda coupe and cause the will of the people to collapse.
2. Germany wasted to many resources trying to capture the city.
3. The Germans focusing on the capture of Stalingrad gave other Russian units time to organize and relocate. The Germans should have bypassed the city and continued on the offensive like the had so effectively up to that point.

I would have blockaded the city and not have wasted precious troops and armor in the urban fighting. I would have continued the offensive across the Volga and kept the Russians scrambling.

Hitler NEVER should have engaged his forces in the bitter street fighting that he did. There were no practical gains to be made in my opinion.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 08:27 PM UTC
all right I will maintain. Okay Hitler split the army Group south,sending part south to the Caucasus. This and the fact that the flanks were not protected by German soldiers but foreign troops who really did not have the will or ability to slow the Russians in their attacking movements. Trying to bite off more then you can chew kind of deal to me.Should of secured the further side of the Volga River first and pulled back a few kilometers then catch the flanks up to prepare where the Russians were going to strike at, sucker them in and close pinchers around them trapping them in pockets sort of like the Pripet Marshes. If they would of destroyed the army here the Russian steepe went on to the coast with not much in the way of troops to stop them, except those Siberian shock Troops, which if memory serves me were not seen until now but a little at Moscow in piece meal not in the force they were seen at Stalingrad. My final answer comes down to the flanks really with Huns and the Rum on the flanks not equipted right or don't really care except don't be captured. History will tell us WATCH THOSE FLANKS

Lets get graphic
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 04:39 AM UTC
Combat in cities what we now refer to as Military Operations in Urbanized terrain (MOUT) is the ruin of any Army. The damage and rubble created by going street to street and house to house eats up resources and energy. If you go into a built up areaa you want to seize critical assets (radion/TV stations, power palnts, water systems, etc) and avoid fighting for meaningless terrain features. Like any other obstacles the best course is to attempt a by-pass. Could you have by-passed Stalingrad? I do not know and would appreciate knowing if that was possibility.
DJ
stavka2000
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 120 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 05:34 AM UTC
Bypassing Stalingrad was not the intent of the staff. They WANTED this city.

What was terrible from a strategic point of view is that Von Paulus's Sixth Army was abandoned by the top brass and did not get any help in bailing out, retreating and regrouping. They had orders to stand and fight. A costly mistake, but, being Dutch, I guess it was just as well that those guys didn't make it out. If they pacified that part and regrouped to the west, there probably would have been no invasion in Normandy.

Cheers,
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 08:52 AM UTC
Iwan---I appreciate that the Germans wanted Stalingrad. What I would like to find out is if it is possible to by-pass the city? In a perfect world, what you seek is to avoid natural and man made obstacles. If you did attack around Stalingrad would it have netted you a decisive advantage? Or, would a by-pass simply leave a large gaping hole in the the rear of your movement?
thanks
DJ
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 10:36 AM UTC
This is a good topic DJ.
There are many thing's that we can point out that "would of " - "shoud of " - & "could of "
been done. I'll take a shot at a few facts of why the German's didn't achieve victory here.
First we all know that the battles that raged inside the factories and building's....especially
in the Dzerzhinsky ( I think that's the right spelling ) Tractor Factory ....Barrikady Ordnance Factory ...and the Red October Steelworks in the idustrial heart of Stalingrad were of some
of the most fanatical and bloodied fighting of W.W.II itself.
But Hitler was obsessed with taking Stalingrad, not only because it was Stalin's city, but
the victory would show the superior racial quality of the Aryan race over the Slavic race.
Also Hitler was a freaking madman ! .......and wanted thing's done his way denying his Generals tactical flexibility, that they were so intune with ............while Stalin gave his commanders the freedom of using their military tactic's in battle as they deemed &
saw neccessary.
- Another thing was....though the Germans were a very formidable opponent, the Russians
had a great asset in the Volga River, and the thousand's of ton's of ammo, food, and men
that were bought across by Adm. Rogachev's naval flotilla of 100's of small civialian boats
of all kind's..........even though they were fiercly hampered by the luftwaffe, they persisited !
The luftwaffe had superiority at Stalingrad, but just couldn't close the Volga.....
....nor could they break or defeat the landing point's along the shore that were so crucial
in supplying and sustaining the Russian 62nd Army.
This all went on for too long ....back and forth.....the Russians attacked and pushed back
....the germans with their superior and "well know for " counterattack's took back lost
ground and building's.
I mean Wermacht div's such as 14 .- 16. - and 24 Panzer...... 71. - 94. - 295. - 389.Infantry Divs' ............and 100.Jager Division made short work out of alot of Russian div's, but
the Russaina's kept coming and were getting more experience in battle.
Everytime the German's made an effort to try to move up the bank's of the Volga....the Russian's threw everything at them.....and though again the Russian losses were immense....they stopped this German threat !
The German's just could not encircle the Russians at Stalingrad.....and with the unending
suppy of men and resources included............THE VOLGA IS WHY !

The more time that went by...the weaker 6.German Army & 4.Panzer Army became....and the stronger the Russian Army got !
The Russians had taken everything that the German's could throw at them, and survived !
Once Op.Uranus struck and the Russians were encircling 6th Army it was all over.
-The Luftwaffe and Goring couldn't fullfill thery're promise and get supplies through, because of bad weather, lack of transport aircraft, airfields, and Russian AA defences.
- They all ( especially the "little freaking corporal " ) should have listened to Von Manstein,
...for Paulus to breakout of the pocket before the Russian grip tighted , but no ....Hitler
demanded Paulus to establish a defensive perimeter, and wait to be relieved .............
........well if that ain't a KICK IN THE HEAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DJ.....you ask what we would have done ?
- What could the German's possibly do against an endless supply of million's of men, ammo and weapons and an industructable barrier of nature to support them ?????????
.......They should of got out when in Sept. Paulus threw eleven divison's at the industrial center of Stalingrad ( the Tractor Factory - Barrikady - Red October - etc ) and though Russian losses were again immense.............they still held the Volga and kept on coming.
THE GERMAN'S COULD HAVE SAVED MORE THAN 90,000 MEN OF 6.ARMY & 4.PANZER ARMY FOR DEFENSE OF THERE REICH..........AND EVEN KURSK !
.............just my thought's & opinion's.
- ralph
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 08:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is a good topic DJ.
There are many thing's that we can point out that "would of " - "shoud of " - & "could of "
been done. I'll take a shot at a few facts of why the German's didn't achieve victory here.
First we all know that the battles that raged inside the factories and building's....especially
in the Dzerzhinsky ( I think that's the right spelling ) Tractor Factory ....Barrikady Ordnance Factory ...and the Red October Steelworks in the idustrial heart of Stalingrad were of some
But Hitler was obsessed with taking Stalingrad, not only because it was Stalin's city, but
the victory would show the superior racial quality of the Aryan race over the Slavic race.
Also Hitler was a freaking madman ! .......and wanted thing's done his way denying his Generals tactical flexibility, that they were so intune with ............while Stalin gave his commanders the freedom of using their military tactic's in battle as they deemed &
saw neccessary.
- Another thing was....though the Germans were a very formidable opponent, the Russians
had a great asset in the Volga River, and the thousand's of ton's of ammo, food, and men
that were bought across by Adm. Rogachev's naval flotilla of 100's of small civialian boats
of all kind's..........even though they were fiercly hampered by the luftwaffe, they persisited !
The luftwaffe had superiority at Stalingrad, but just couldn't close the Volga.....
....nor could they break or defeat the landing point's along the shore that were so crucial
This all went on for too long ....back and forth.....the Russians attacked and pushed back
....the germans with their superior and "well know for " counterattack's took back lost
ground and building's.
I mean Wermacht div's such as 14 .- 16. - and 24 Panzer...... 71. - 94. - 295. - 389.Infantry Divs' ............and 100.Jager Division made short work out of alot of Russian div's, but
Everytime the German's made an effort to try to move up the bank's of the Volga....the Russian's threw everything at them.....and though again the Russian losses were immense....they stopped this German threat !
The German's just could not encircle the Russians at Stalingrad.....and with the unending

The more time that went by...the weaker 6.German Army & 4.Panzer Army became....and the stronger the Russian Army got !
The Russians had taken everything that the German's could throw at them, and survived !
Once Op.Uranus struck and the Russians were encircling 6th Army it was all over.
-The Luftwaffe and Goring couldn't fullfill thery're promise and get supplies through, for
lack of bad weather, lack of transport aircraft, airfields, and Russian AA defences.
- They all ( especially the "little freaking corporal " ) should have listened to Von Manstein,
...for Paulus to breakout of the pocket before the Russian grip tighted , but no ....Hitler
demanded Paulus to establish a defensive perimeter, and wait to be relieved .............
- What could the German's possibly do against an endless supply of million's of men, ammo and weapons and an industructable barrier of nature to support them ?????????
.......They should of got out when in Sept. Paulus threw eleven divison's at the industrial center of Stalingrad ( the Tractor Factory - Barrikady - Red October - etc ) and though Russian losses were again immense.............they still held the Volga and kept on coming.
THE GERMAN'S COULD HAVE SAVED MORE THAN 90,000 MEN OF 6.ARMY & 4.PANZER ARMY FOR DEFENSE OF THERE REICH..........AND EVEN KURSK !
- ralph

Very good Ralph!! 100% agreement with you on this. After reading Hell at the Gates many a time and seeing the movie which was half truth but still good as to the way it was. Did not the Russians loose like about 1,000,000 civilians alone at Stalingrad. DJ on by-passing the city I don' t think this would of worked look at Lenigrad 900 day siege. Yes on the wave upon wave idea good ,the Germans would kill them all in the day and at morning they were back again this time more of them. Fighting for one floor and having Russians on the upper and the floor below you wild is all I can say. But I still think it comes down to the flanks falling in and them becoming encircled. With no supplies and the Russians getting supplies every night even with loses they still got them. You know that the German Army lost 1/3 of their equiptment at Stalingrad wonder why they lost could never recover this and Troops lost.

my 1/2 cent

Good post DJ
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,088 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 08:32 PM UTC
Interesting conversation!
Sorry to go off-topic ( #:-) ) but what kind of Stalingrad dioramas or figure vignettes have been done? Pics, links?

Just have a cold picture developing in my head...

Toni
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 11:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

This is a good topic DJ.
saw neccessary.
ground and building's.

-The Luftwaffe and Goring couldn't fullfill thery're promise and get supplies through, for
lack of bad weather, lack of transport aircraft, airfields, and Russian AA defences.
- ralph

Very good Ralph!! 100% agreement with you on this. After reading Hell at the Gates many a time and seeing the movie which was half truth but still good as to the way it was. Did not the Russians loose like about 1,000,000 civilians alone at Stalingrad. DJ on by-passing the city I don' t think this would of worked look at Lenigrad 900 day siege. Yes on the wave upon wave idea good ,the Germans would kill them all in the day and at morning they were back again this time more of them. Fighting for one floor and having Russians on the upper and the floor below you wild is all I can say. But I still think it comes down to the flanks falling in and them becoming encircled. With no supplies and the Russians getting supplies every night even with loses they still got them. You know that the German Army lost 1/3 of their equiptment at Stalingrad wonder why they lost could never recover this and Troops lost.

my 1/2 cent

Good post DJ

Ralph/Jeff---Am I correct in summarizing your input as follows? One, Germans could not by-pass Stalingrad. The major natural obstacle, the Volga River, flowed to the rear or eastern portion of Stalingrad. Th cross this significant river, the Germans would have had to amass a significant amount of bridging and related resources. The logistical system could not establish and sustain this type of diversion of material. Second, Paulus should have been given permission in September to withdraw to a more defensible position and await resupply. Let me know if I have that right.
Follow-on question: if Paulus withdrew in September as you suggest, when and where should he has been directed to proceed once re supplied?
thanks
DJ
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2002 - 12:00 AM UTC
What happened to the second part of Army Group South that was sent toward the Caucausus? They must have made it past the Volga, right? My knowledge of this part of the war is a little sketchy.

Nic
Cob
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 275 Posts
KitMaker Network: 95 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2002 - 12:23 AM UTC
Ralph/Jeff---Am I correct in summarizing your input as follows? One, Germans could not by-pass Stalingrad. The major natural obstacle, the Volga River, flowed to the rear or eastern portion of Stalingrad. Th cross this significant river, the Germans would have had to amass a significant amount of bridging and related resources. The logistical system could not establish and sustain this type of diversion of material. Second, Paulus should have been given permission in September to withdraw to a more defensible position and await resupply. Let me know if I have that right.
Follow-on question: if Paulus withdrew in September as you suggest, when and where should he has been directed to proceed once re supplied?
thanks
DJ[/quote]

Back to Germany ! :-)
That's not the smart a## answer it seems to be. Several of the folks in this thread (yourself included) have mentioned supplies. The lack of adequete means of supply doomed the invasion of Russia from the start IMHO. The distances involved vs. the transportation required/available were underestimated by the German High Command. Goerings luftwaffe never came close to carrying in a fraction what was needed to 6 army. Logistics may not be "sexy" but it's a lot more critical than most people think.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2002 - 01:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

This is a good topic DJ.
saw neccessary.
ground and building's.

- ralph

my 1/2 cent

Good post DJ

thanks
DJ

Yes you are right on my side.I would of sent him to close the Causasus to enable the million and a half German troops out.

Folgore on the Caucasus after the fall of 6th army their were now about 1 and half million German troops surrounded. They did fight their way out. Hitler now realizing that only after losing all this man power but only after losing 500,000 more men as you see the fall of the 6 th Army had more of an effect then just the losing the Battle. Next came the fight for the Ukraine.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2002 - 01:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Interesting conversation!
Sorry to go off-topic ( #:-) ) but what kind of Stalingrad dioramas or figure vignettes have been done? Pics, links?

Just have a cold picture developing in my head...

Toni

Here is onehttp://www.militaryhobbies.com/custom/productzoom/mir35102.jpg

another onehttp://www.ww2modelmaker.com/modelpages/Strecker.htm actually I think this one more shows of the fighting the other one is more of a lets party look
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2002 - 02:33 AM UTC
Several unanswered questions in this stream:

Could Stalingrad been blockaded? Yes, they could have crossed the Volga above (North) of Stalingrad and probably south also. They chose to use the river as flank security, but used there weaker allies to secure the flanks north & south of the Six Army. The Germans could still out manuever the Russians in the open, but they were sucked into the city where they lost there superior manueverability. The bigger question though, is why go after Stalingrad at all! More later.

Why did the German armies in the Caucasus not cross the Volga? The Volga enters the Caspian Sea at the Sea's northern tip in a large delta. The Germans in the Caucasus were after the oil fields along the west shore of the Caspian Sea and were headed away from the Volga.

Why did the Russians not cut-off the Germans in the Caucasus? The Soviets first had to stop to digest the Stalingrad pocket and protect against 4th Panzer Army's relief effort before they could move on. They temporarily seized Rostov, the only crossing points out of the Caucasus for the Germans. But one of the best counter offensives of the war, led by Field Marshal Manstein, pushed the Russians back from Rostov and allowed the Army Group Caucasus to escape.

IF the Germans had built a strategic air force to complement their tactical air force they could have blockaded Stalingrad and severely damaged the masses of supplies and troops collected on the east bank of the Volga, among other things. But they did not have the forsight, like the US & Britain to think strategically in the air.

Now what would I have done instead of the southern campaign or have done differently in the south. Based on "tests" among I and some friends using board games we discovored and tested several alternatives.

First the Germans really only have sufficient first-line forces for one major offensive, they tries to lay seige to Leningrad and attack in the south the second summer. If attacking in the south you can only go up against one objective: Stalingrad and/or the Caucasus. I have found my self sucked into the vacumn of the Caucasus, but you have to resist. Once you reach the Volga, you need to blockade Stalingrad on the west side and obliterate the city so it can't be used for production or as a beachhead for a breakout. Artillery and bombers could keep the city rubbled sufficiently to block massed counterattacks. Next wall off the Caucasus with mobile defense. If the Volga is secured, the Russians don't have enough armored forces to be a major threat.

BUT, what we found to be the best strategy, in our opinions, for the second summer was to use the forces spent in south to seize Leningrad, Murmansk and completly secure the northern flank, significantly shortening the German lines, freeing top quality troops.

Just some more fuel for the fire

I need to claim an alibi: I have a bad sinus infection and am suffering from vertigo, so my thinking is a little off. The best strategy we developed for invading Russia in JUN 41 and avoiding Stalingrad in 42-43 was to concentrate the initial invasion in the North, securing Leningrad and Murmansk in 1941. Moscow would then be the major objective for Summer 42, with supporting attacks in the South. I hope I am making sense through my brain's current haze
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2002 - 07:16 AM UTC
DJ in answer to your question and in regards to Ranger74's
comment's..............Look at the shape of Stalingrad - This completely
took away the German Armies ability to deafeat the Russians, by
the Germans classic maneuover of encirclement..
......Stalingrad being 25 miles long....5 miles wide....and the Volga River
itself a bit over a 1/2 mile wide, meant the Germans only means of taking
and surrounding Stalingrad, only could be possible if there was a total
collapse of the Russian Army at Stalingrad...........and then a major amphibious
assault would have to take place by the Germans to cross the Volga to stop the
flow of reserves ------- IMPOSSIBLE.......and we know it was, because it just didn't happen.
- Thus the shape of Stalingrad, generaly limited the German's to a frontal and forward line
of battle.
- The Luftwaffe could not break the Volga or the continuous supply of men, food,
and weapons that poured across it.
- The German infantry came close to the river supply banks and decimated alot of Russians troops to get there ...............BUT CLOSE, DOESN"T CUT IT.............and then
again they would of had to persue with an amphibious operation - A MAJOR ONE , to cross the Volga
....and if the Luftwaffe with it's air-superioity couldn't break the Russian resources
that were being poured across the Volga.........there is no way the Germans were
going to get across it, in face of those same Russian resources on the other side.
That is the only way the German's could have possibly encircled Stalingrad.
That's how I see it Man, I love this stuff !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

..........and just for my own personal record:
even though Russia was our Allied partner in W.W.II, I actually would have loved to see the elite German SS & Wehrmacht wipe the battlfields up with the Russian Army.
The only thing I depised about our own Allied force........was the Russian Army & Government.......... But my heart went out to their civilian people who suffered at the hand's of
the German's and their own Soviet Government.

- ralph
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2002 - 08:29 AM UTC
I stand corrected out of 400,000 civilians only a total of 283 were found alive but most died latter on so that brings the total of civilians to 400,000 still a bunch for such a short period of time. That is about as many as we lost in the whole war is it not? What a waste one of them might have found the cure for cancer or something along those lines
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2002 - 08:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Several unanswered questions in this stream:

Could Stalingrad been blockaded? Yes, they could have crossed the Volga above (North) of Stalingrad and probably south also. They chose to use the river as flank security, but used there weaker allies to secure the flanks north & south of the Six Army. The Germans could still out manuever the Russians in the open, but they were sucked into the city where they lost there superior manueverability. The bigger question though, is why go after Stalingrad at all! More later.

Why did the German armies in the Caucasus not cross the Volga? The Volga enters the Caspian Sea at the Sea's northern tip in a large delta. The Germans in the Caucasus were after the oil fields along the west shore of the Caspian Sea and were headed away from the Volga.

Why did the Russians not cut-off the Germans in the Caucasus? The Soviets first had to stop to digest the Stalingrad pocket and protect against 4th Panzer Army's relief effort before they could move on. They temporarily seized Rostov, the only crossing points out of the Caucasus for the Germans. But one of the best counter offensives of the war, led by Field Marshal Manstein, pushed the Russians back from Rostov and allowed the Army Group Caucasus to escape.

IF the Germans had built a strategic air force to complement their tactical air force they could have blockaded Stalingrad and severely damaged the masses of supplies and troops collected on the east bank of the Volga, among other things. But they did not have the forsight, like the US & Britain to think strategically in the air.

Now what would I have done instead of the southern campaign or have done differently in the south. Based on "tests" among I and some friends using board games we discovored and tested several alternatives.

First the Germans really only have sufficient first-line forces for one major offensive, they tries to lay seige to Leningrad and attack in the south the second summer. If attacking in the south you can only go up against one objective: Stalingrad and/or the Caucasus. I have found my self sucked into the vacumn of the Caucasus, but you have to resist. Once you reach the Volga, you need to blockade Stalingrad on the west side and obliterate the city so it can't be used for production or as a beachhead for a breakout. Artillery and bombers could keep the city rubbled sufficiently to block massed counterattacks. Next wall off the Caucasus with mobile defense. If the Volga is secured, the Russians don't have enough armored forces to be a major threat.

BUT, what we found to be the best strategy, in our opinions, for the second summer was to use the forces spent in south to seize Leningrad, Murmansk and completly secure the northern flank, significantly shortening the German lines, freeing top quality troops.

Just some more fuel for the fire

I need to claim an alibi: I have a bad sinus infection and am suffering from vertigo, so my thinking is a little off. The best strategy we developed for invading Russia in JUN 41 and avoiding Stalingrad in 42-43 was to concentrate the initial invasion in the North, securing Leningrad and Murmansk in 1941. Moscow would then be the major objective for Summer 42, with supporting attacks in the South. I hope I am making sense through my brain's current haze

You make a lot of sense my friend, lets go get them bad cold or not good answer God I love this. Okay so we only attack in one area in force to shore up the supply line which by now is hard to keep defended. Mean while building more equiptment for the next step which is Oil the blood of the panzers. A two prong attack on ole Stalin himself even better then I can Imagine. Whats next sort of like Chess have to be 7 or 8 moves ahead. What if the Russians get their *hit together remember still have to deal with the shock troops that have been training in Siberia and ole Rokossovski is getting good at this *hit.
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2002 - 09:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I stand corrected out of 400,000 civilians only a total of 283 were found alive but most died latter on so that brings the total of civilians to 400,000 still a bunch for such a short period of time. That is about as many as we lost in the whole war is it not? What a waste one of them might have found the cure for cancer or something along those lines

Hi Jeff , I'll have to take alook in my book's to see if they give an exact count,
But, your right..........many civilians chose to stay in Stalingrad as the battle waged on.
- ralph
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2002 - 07:40 PM UTC
Folks--I have to admit that Ranger 74 posted a great analysis worth reading if you have not done so already. Reading about the Russian Campaign is difficult. The location names and personalities are almost mind boggling. Having said that I relie on two books to help me through Stalingrad. One is Anthony Beevor's "Stalingrad," and the other is William Craigs "Enemy at the Gate." What books do you fellows use to appreciate this battle?
thanks
DJ
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2002 - 08:15 PM UTC
I don't know why I keep calling Enemy at the gates Hell at the gates but this is my choice. Also found out that during the battle Russian troop loses were over 1,000,000 as compared to German loses of over 800,000. plus civilians,and they said that any Russian civilian that tried to leave the city was shot by their own security forces go figure. we can only begin to think of such loses in such a short period of time. Good job DJ and Ranger.
Keep it up
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2002 - 11:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Good job DJ and Ranger.
Keep it up

With all due respect, I'm not taking anything away from DJ & Ranger,
but let's not forget the other who contributed with reference & questions as well:
Cob - cdave - sgtsauer - sgtreef - stavka2000 - Folgore - Envar
WELL DONE BOY's !!!!!!!!!!!!!

- ralph
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 - 12:33 AM UTC
Ralph---kudos to all. What are you using for a reference to discuss this subject?
DJ
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 - 01:19 AM UTC
I am back and not so drugged, actually made it to work today. This discussion is outstanding!! It shows that some of us do know how to read, despite what some say about the US education system Thanks for the compliments, but they go to everyone who gets in on these discussions that 210 CAV starts. I really enjoy this. The Germas give us so many "What ifs".

Luckily, to slightly change subjects, for western Europe the Russians have never really thought strategically, except for their nuclear forces. Both the Germans and Russians have been continental powers, and the US and Britain have been the only truly stragetic powers in the 20th Century. Even though the Japanese had a strategically capable navy, their air force and supply systems were incapable of supporting strategic thinking. Not till end of war did the Japanese have a four-engined long range bomber, and only in prototype. The Germans also never deployed a strategic bomber. The Japanese submarine force, one of the largest in the world, was used primarily as a tactical force, in direct support of the battle fleet, it could have wreacked havoc on allied shipping in the Pacific, early in the war, where a shortage of escort vessels had allied shipping to Australia going unescorted or only lightly escorted.

Sorry for the deviation, but war strategy can be sooooo interesting!!!!

Ranger