_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Shopping around-Need opinions
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 604 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 12:03 AM UTC
With Christmas coming, I'm in the market for my first digital camera. I'm looking for something not too complicated, and compatible with my Compaq Presario 6000, basically to get pix into my gallery. Price and customer service are also considerations. I have plenty of places to shop (Ritz Camera, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc) so I need some help with what to look for and where to find it. Thanx in advance

Art
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 01:05 AM UTC
Since customer service is important to you, avoid K and Wal Mart. I'd go with Circuit City/CompUSA first among your choices for choice and service. Next Ritz for service, though probably less choice, and last on the remainders,. Best Buy.
CC, Comp and BB all have priceguarantees, so you're equal there.
Handle the cameras to see which is most comfortable. If you expect to use it outside, make sure you have a viewfinder as well as the LCD screen, which will be very hard to see in bright sun. Make sure you have white balance and a macro funciton.
Bigger megapix are good for printing enlargements but make posting on line a pain, especially if you or your audience have dial up connection.
Try to avoid a docking station. A direct USB is simpler. Look for something with a good rechargeable battery. If you can get one that will interface with the camera to tell you how much time you have left on it, all's the better. (Sony's "infolithium" battery will do this.)
As with any camera, and especially if you're doing close ups, an SLR style is best, where the image in the viewfinder is exactly waht is coming through the lens.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 01:17 AM UTC
I like my Kodak (w/ docking station.....) but the 'puter comes with one of them Multimedia card reader thingy's on it...... so all the docking station does is charge the battery anymore......
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 604 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 12:36 AM UTC
Thanx, guys. More questions, though:
. Are there any makes/models I should avoid?
. Until I do get a digicam, can I post my pix if I get them put on disc, and if so, where's the best place to get that done?

Art
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 01:56 AM UTC
If you do a forum search, Grasshopp12 sells digital cameras for a living and did a rundown of what to look for.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 02:03 AM UTC
Linkage: https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/11911&page=1
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 02:56 AM UTC
Hey there.. I take a lot of pictures of my models with my camra and 2 accessorys that are most essential is a small tabletop tripod.. they run about $10 and are needed to take clear picutres up close of small details..

recharable batteries.. i'm using Monster batteries with a charger that cost me about $28.. and after 2 years they are still keeping my camra going..

also make sure you get a camra with a macro function. for taking photos very close up. almost all cam's have this nowadays..

and remember optical zoom is a must I wouldn't waste money on a camra that only has digital zoom..

most of the cam's have both an optical and digital zoom.. the very cheapo's will only have digital... not many of those around anymore..

and a timer function is also great... I take all my photo's on a tripod with the camra on macro and use the timer so I dont' shake the camra when i take the pic.

and below is a useful article on digital camra basics.. :>

Digital camra basics article

samples of my pics here.
 _GOTOTOP