_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
I can't buy just the model kit..............
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2002 - 01:09 PM UTC
Every time I buy a model kit, I end up buying $30 to $60 in references also. If there are PE or Resin accessory sets out I drop another $30 to $60. When it is all said and done, a $30.00 kit ends up being a $100+ project.

Case in point, I just purchased Tamiya's M26 Pershing ($38). I ended up buying 2 books solely on the Pershing and another book that had some good Pershing pic's in it. The three references totaled $42.00. I don't like the rubber band tracks that came with it so I will be buying some individual track links. These will probably be $25.00 at least. I don't like the kit supplied .50 cal so I'm replacing it with a Verlinden .50 which was $7.00.

Projected grand total of kit at end of construction--at least $107.00

Does anyone else do insane things like this? I should seek help!!!! #:-)
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2002 - 01:22 PM UTC
I will pick up an aluminum barrel for a kit if I see it will be a problem (like glues in half). I get PE for some kits, but not all. I rarely replace the tracks and machine guns, but will do it if necessary.

As for references, I tend to read most of the books cover-to-cover so I just don't buy them for a picture or two or strictly for a model's reference.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2002 - 02:01 PM UTC
See your point Sgt.

I ran into the same problem over and over again. I stopped buying the reference books and I roam the internet for reference these days. That saves some bucks, but not enough.

Since I've re-entered the modeling hobby, I'm also on the permanent hunt for paint, brushes etc. so my wallet is still empty after every visit at the local hobby shop....

Since I've got a family to feed and mortgage bills to pay I just can't afford all the extra's to a kit like I used to in the old days.....
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2002 - 08:48 PM UTC
Yes I know it is hard is it not get the kit then bang Pe another $17.00 to 20 plus then the tracks bang another $25.00 to 35.00 . Oh well along as it is fun. But this M-41 from AFV the only thing I am adding is the seperate track links NOTHING Else
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 11:08 AM UTC
Your not alone out there, since I started with PE and AM stuff I'm starting and definitely finishing alot less models. My own mortality has made me realize I probably will never finish even what I have in the closet (200+ kits and resinconv) While this is sad I enjoy the build even more now, so maybe it's a toss up. :-)
Josh WEingarten
aKA shiryon
lambertjr
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 131 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 11:27 AM UTC
I did a Humvee from Tamiya not too long ago. the kit was $23. When I was finished with all my add ons the cost had jumped to over $125
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
entire network: 793 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 04:15 PM UTC
I think the secret to all this, may lie in the addage don't do your grocery shopping while you are hungry. We modellers, have a tendency, with the fragility of the market place, to think that if we don't buy it today it won't be therre tommorrow. Try to limit your accessory intensive projects to a few items that you are certain to build and enjoy, as opposed to falling for the I must have this item (seeing it built in the mind) syndrome. I am as guilty as the next man but am trying to overcome this penchant. Companies that produce over ten new releases a month are also the culprits which drain your resources. Think twice buy once.

Jackology
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 05:25 PM UTC
Hi There
I too have this problem.I recently purchased 2 Academy Warrior MCVs.To go with them came 2x eduard and airwaves pe sets,Accurate Armour update set x1,AA icv conversion kit and a Cromwell models update set plus crew sets from AA and Warrior models.The unfortunate bit for me is that with the pe sets they all contain some parts that are identical and some that are not so i always end up with lots of extra unused parts.I think that with all the extras plus the other warrior (and extras) that i bought earlier this year the dio that i'm planning has already cost me in excess of £150,before i even get started on scenery.Still i'd rather spend the money on kits etc than in the pub.
Regards
Peter :-)
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 09:56 AM UTC
I have the same issue exactly, yesterday I just comment to a friend that I only use maybe 50% of the plastic kit, I always use PE, alum gun barrels, and if not DML, AM tracks. The only straight OTB kit I will do is one Tristar Pz I, even that I will add some PE claps, and the DML Panther A, since I am gonna to paint it pink as a joke, so it won't matter too much. :-)
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 10:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Think twic buy once.

Jackology

Funny... I seem to think once, and buy twice as much! #:-)

Yodaology by...
YodaMan
 _GOTOTOP