_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Wire Cables in less than 2 minutes!
whodini
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 359 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2004 - 12:42 AM UTC
Hey all,
I have discovered a new way to make wire cable at home in less than a few minutes.

Here are all the items that you need:
1 Gearbox (electrical, Handcrank)
A spool of wire
Scissors
A 9v Battery Or bigger (electrical Gearbox only.)

First step: Grab 2 pieces of wire that are about 2 metres in length.

Step 2: put both of the wires around a sturdy pole to anchor it down, In this picture, a paint rack

Step 3: Put the ends of the wire into the Hook or the hole of the Gearbox

Step 4: secure the wire and wind the gearbox, Either manually, or electrically, making sure to pull loosely on the wire while winding.

Step 5: When finished winding,Cut your newly formed cable from the anchoring point and the gearbox

The finished Product:

Here are some sizes and uses for the Wire Cable:

I hope you can understand this. It is a very useful technique that you can use. It is also inexpensive

Rob
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2004 - 12:57 AM UTC
That is handy. I have been doing the same thing with a cordless drill and three strands of wire to make tow cables.

Shaun
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2004 - 02:38 PM UTC
This is a nice one Robert! Thanks for sharing it.
Ciao
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,314 Posts
KitMaker Network: 185 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2004 - 03:24 PM UTC
Good tip Robert -- I especially like the pic showing the barbed wire effect---pretty cool Thanks.

Steve
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2004 - 08:34 PM UTC
Hi Robert,

Great tip, an electric screwdriver will also do the trick. What type & gauge wire do you use?

Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2004 - 09:27 PM UTC
Great tip, Robert, thanks...I've tried electric drills and screwdrivers for the same effect, but speed ratio could be controlled much easier with a smaller motor...I'm going to try to find a small electric motor with a step down ratio gearset..Good work!

Gunny
whodini
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 359 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 08:26 AM UTC
Hey all.

Tarok, I think the wire that i used is for beading. The pakage said that it is 24 gauge. The wire is extremely thin, like sewing thread, maybe thinner.

Gunnie, My gearbox is from Tamiya, It is the high speed gearbox. It works good and it does it at the perfect speed.

Rob
Manchu34
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 493 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 12:47 AM UTC
I use a different technique. I take 18 to 24 gauge strand wire and strip enough insulation off to allow me to grab al the wires. THe next step is to gently twist the insulation and work the twisted wire out of the insualtion till I get the length I need. I find that it creates a very realistic wire rope, very close to a 1/35 scale tow cable.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 02:48 AM UTC
Yeah, I've also been doing this for a while. However, I just do it by hand. I take a strand, make a U out of it (twisting the ends of the U together). I tape one end of the now 0 shaped strand to the table and loop the other end to a pair of tweezers or a pencil (the layout looks similar to someone braiding something). I feel I can control the twists better. I have also been able to twist three strands together as well as take 2-3 sets of single twisted pairs and twist them together . The thickness allows for a convincing tow cable (just add the ends) Then end results can be seen in my gallery on my Abrams (the radio cables and tow cable), my M4A3 (105) (radio cable), and my truck (tow cable).

Jeff
 _GOTOTOP