History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Sorry 210 cav
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2002 - 09:48 AM UTC
Sorry for getting your post closed. It just happened when you get two New Yorkers in the same room with different ideas we are both right. Sort of comes out like this.
Sorry again will try to maintain my ideas but as the right to say what I want when I want to well that can never be changed. I did my 8 years so guess I have a little right to express myself. And no I am not a Nazi. But I do respect the German soldier.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2002 - 11:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry for getting your post closed. It just happened when you get two New Yorkers in the same room with different ideas we are both right. Sort of comes out like this.
Sorry again will try to maintain my ideas but as the right to say what I want when I want to well that can never be changed. I did my 8 years so guess I have a little right to express myself. And no I am not a Nazi. But I do respect the German soldier.

Well, I am a native New Yorker. Consider us still buddies :-) :-) I thought we were having a great discussion. Apparently I was wrong.
DJ
Ps--And, I just make general officer today!
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2002 - 11:47 AM UTC
DJ,
Congrats on becoming a general!

I thought the conversation was interesting too. I think it just got a little off track. Not anyone's fault really. If we can keep these convos on history and not politics then that would probably help.

Jeff,
I have a respect for all the average soldiers who fought in WWII (and other wars) also. I am definitely no Nazi lover, but to lump all Germans, all Japanese, all Russian, what next? All Italians were bad soldiers? All French? I don't think so. There were bad things done on both sides. Did the Axis do more? DEFINATELY! But to think them all evil you might as well say that the human race is evil.

I am an American, but my ancestors were English, French, German, Jewish, and Native American. I refuse to believe any one country or any one group of people are inherently corrupt or beyond being corrupted. The lesson of WWII should be that it's more than easy to bend a society this way and that. Beware of leaders promising 1000 year kingdoms... or a heaven filled with virgins.

Steve,
You haven't commented here yet but I would imagine you won't be happy with my unilateral post deletion either. Sorry for that. I respect your opinion too. I may disagree on some levels with the idea that certain sacrifices are off-limits in war. I don't see how history (recent or past) proves that the case. But that is no matter. Your opinion is still a valid one.

All - Let's just try to keep it respectful. Otherwise the referee will step in and do his job.

Cheers,
Jim
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2002 - 09:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

DJ,
Congrats on becoming a general!

I thought the conversation was interesting too. I think it just got a little off track. Not anyone's fault really. If we can keep these convos on history and not politics then that would probably help.

Jeff,
I have a respect for all the average soldiers who fought in WWII (and other wars) also. I am definitely no Nazi lover, but to lump all Germans, all Japanese, all Russian, what next? All Italians were bad soldiers? All French? I don't think so. There were bad things done on both sides. Did the Axis do more? DEFINATELY! But to think them all evil you might as well say that the human race is evil.

I am an American, but my ancestors were English, French, German, Jewish, and Native American. I refuse to believe any one country or any one group of people are inherently corrupt or beyond being corrupted. The lesson of WWII should be that it's more than easy to bend a society this way and that. Beware of leaders promising 1000 year kingdoms... or a heaven filled with virgins.

Steve,
You haven't commented here yet but I would imagine you won't be happy with my unilateral post deletion either. Sorry for that. I respect your opinion too. I may disagree on some levels with the idea that certain sacrifices are off-limits in war. I don't see how history (recent or past) proves that the case. But that is no matter. Your opinion is still a valid one.

All - Let's just try to keep it respectful. Otherwise the referee will step in and do his job.

Cheers,
Jim

Well put Jim you are a man of little words but when you speak the words are elegant and precise. Will maintain as the saying goes live and let live.
And congrats to you Colonel DJ or heck General now. You know if everybody had the same ideas what a boring world we would live in BLahh. And I am 50% German and 50% Italian so two hot tempers already. But most of all I am 100% American

And I think I will make General today or tomorrow.
So be good and let history teach us a lesson that their is good and bad in all people.

Forgot to add that the stories I was told about the children and women shooting GIs was told to me by people that were in Vietnam as I joined in 1975 so their were a whole bunch of ex viets all my drills were Vietnam vets. So who to believe I will not call the men I served with liars but I have a million stories of vietnam. How many driils today are Vietnam vets not to many I would think all retired or up in the ranks.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2002 - 11:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jeff,

Steve,

Cheers,
Jim

Jim,

All I did was to say that the SS was not comparable to today's U.S. Special Forces. I also said that I believe that American's, in particular American soldiers, do seem to have a special respect for life that looking back at other conflicts the Germans and Japanese did not seem to have. And, there are people still today that seem not to have this concern for people. We see it almost everyday.

I did not mention Vietnam, 9/11, etc. Certainly, I understand that unpleasant things must happen in war. But when the enemy starts to become seen as inhuman and lesser, what you may be fighting for has lost its meaning. This is exactly what happened with the Nazis...

And speaking of Nazis, its funny how when you see interviews of surviving German soldiers you never see one who admits to being a Nazi. Every one says 'hey, I just followed orders like a good soldier.' 'I hated Hitler but had no choice because I was serving the Fatherland.' I'd love just once to see some old guy get on the tube and tell me that he loved Hitler.

Same with the Japanese, never an apology for starting the most unnecessary war in history. My dad never forgave them while he was alive. He saw a lot of friends killed on some worthless beaches in the South Pacific.

Like you guys, I'm here because I like the military and their equipment, weapons, etc. I really doubt that would be the case if I hated war and soldiers and was some big 'peace lovin' hippee.' But, that dosen't mean I like killing and to see people suffer. And, if you study WWII and don't understand that aspect, that it was a tremendous waste, I think you are missing some very important lessons.

War is not a football game where you root for a team. What may happen soon in the Middle East is not going to be a fun event. There's a lot of hate in the World and a lot of suffering. There may be much more to come. Does that mean I think it's unnecesary? No, you have to do things to make the world safe. There will never be glory in a pile of dead people though.

Maybe if it was your family that was under the falling bombs you'd start to feel different about 'collateral damage' though. Americans have never really had to deal with the killing of tens of thousands of innocent civilians. Just because it happens to people half a world away does not lessen the tragedy for me. 9/11 was a small example of what happens when war is where you live. Imagine living with that everyday...

As far as the human race being evil. Personally, I don't believe in good or evil. But, if you look back through history you will see the world shaped by conflict and blood...

The original question was about the Nazis in Russia. Ulitimately, he Germans failed because they had twisted ideas of race and how people were. Not because of tanks or planes or bad weather. Their legacy should never be that of great and brave warriors fighting for their country. It will always be a legacy of monumental folly and wholesale slaughter.

Steve

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 02:04 AM UTC
Steve,
Well said. We are in agreement on most of that. But I disagree about the last part as my belief is that the Axis failed in their twisted plans because... we beat them.

Back to work for me.

Jim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 02:06 AM UTC
Jeff,
Thanks for the elegant words reference. I wish I was a man of few words. My wife says I am too opinionated and by inference "talk too much".

Jim
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 04:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jeff,
Thanks for the elegant words reference. I wish I was a man of few words. My wife says I am too opinionated and by inference "talk too much".

Jim

Jim--for my part, I appreciate your concerns. You are in command. I want to continue to discuss historical topics on this venue. Just let me know when you think we are off message and we'll get our collective act together. May I recommend that the remainder of the fine Soldiers that participate start thinking up new topics and let's move on.
Airborne
DJ
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 05:03 AM UTC
General...you have my permission to proceed.

Jim
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 06:16 AM UTC
So.....does the above mean that we need to go out and purchase a black and white striped shirt for our fearless leader?

Tread.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 06:34 AM UTC
Actually nothing gives me more pleasure than to join in on a discussion of History. I was reading through the thread in question planning on posting a well thought out intellectual response, but, as I kept on reading vvvvvvvvvery slowly the thread metamorhed into a 'flame war' or some such. So, again using what intellect I have left, I decided to NOT participate.
I can't say I embrace the idea of topics being 'off-limits'. A little too much 'Farenheit 451' for me.
And for the record, Jim has been the greatest at practicing a 'hands-off' type of management here at Armorma. Probably because he has the highest respect for the 'village' he's created here on this site.
I think the thing that we all have to remember is the 'glue' we have here is common interest. The 'flag' we drape it all in should be common respect for one another.

Tread.

BTW Jim, I've got an old referee shirt that I could lend you.

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 10:01 AM UTC
Lol....Thanks Tread.

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 08:36 PM UTC
You folks are crazy #:-) #:-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 02:49 AM UTC
Damn Jim, I didn't know you were so handsome. In a kind of 'foul', oops, 'fowl' sorta way.

Tread. #:-)
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 12:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Damn Jim, I didn't know you were so handsome. In a kind of 'foul', oops, 'fowl' sorta way.

Tread. #:-)

Geesh, Tread, while you said Striped shirt, I thought about horizontally stripped, then I thought "Okay, what is general getting this time"

#:-)