TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
BBC TV series called "The Prisoner"
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 05:34 AM UTC
I would like to know if anyone has ever seen this TV series before?
I thought it was in BBC standards a great show, ahead of its time.
If anyone has seen it before can you figure it out? Who or what was rover the big white ballon looking object?
Can someone please tell me what is the meaning of the plot for the entire series? Did they ever find out why #6 retired?
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 07:31 PM UTC
I am not a number! I am a free Man!!
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 10:37 PM UTC
The Prisoner was NOT a BBC show and has never been screened by the BBC. It was made by and screened by Independent Televisionhere in the UK

Vinnie
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 04:55 AM UTC
I think it's thought of as that because it's now on BBC America over here Teacher.

I remember seeing this on PBS stations when I was a kid, my dad was into it along with Dr Who and The Avengers (me too, I loved Emma lol). I recently noticed it was now in syndication again on BBC America on satellite so I may have to start watching again. I remember how the series ended but I don't recall all of the episodes.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 01:12 AM UTC
I watched the series when it first came out,to be honest I never really understood it too young I guess.I used to watch the predesesor to it called Danger man which had the same hero character.I believe he was a spy who had gone through the mill and had enough but because he knew to much the authorities kidnap him and send him to the retirement village so he cant defect or talk only problem is if you try to leave you get permenantley retired ie the Rover but of course our hereo is to much trouble and gives them all grief.point of information the village is an actual place in North Wales it really looks like its shown on screen, cant remember its name but its a big tourist place now.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 01:31 AM UTC
John, are you speaking of Secret Agent? The main character was played by the same actor, but I understood the two series weren't related.

I remember the Prisioner series being shown on PBS in the late sixties, early seventies. I never could figure it out, but I didn't really watch all that much.

Quoted Text

The Avengers (me too, I loved Emma lol).

Ah Emma, drool, the topic of endless school yard fantasies.

Teacher
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,924 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 05:15 AM UTC
His name was Patrick McGoohan. Danger Man and The Prisoner were unrelated. The place Easy_Co recalls is called Port Merion on the North west coast of Wales. It's very unusual architecture the result of the entire village more or less being conceived by one man.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 12:51 AM UTC
I remember watching the Prisoner back in mid 70's on AFN (American TV channel in Germany) We all loved the show when it started, but as time went by it got weirder and weirder. I remember the ending as being downright ridiculous something with dancing dwarfs in clown costumes. And lets not bring Emma Peel into this.....she had nothing to do with this. Diana Rigg is still a Godess as well as Julie Newmar to me.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2004 - 03:25 PM UTC
and he had one of the best sports cars ever!
I want one of these!
Captain94
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 239 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 01:07 AM UTC
I first watched the show in the '60s at my grandparents home during a summer vacation. I was 13 or so.
I was hooked from the get go and bought the DVD boxed set a few years ago.

Still great stuff even 40? years later!

Someday soon, I'm going to the Wales to find the "Village"
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 12:32 AM UTC
I was a bit too young to watch The Prisoner, and girlfriend, who was, didn't think that it made much sense.

But there is a link to the world of tanks there, Portmeirion was designed by Clough Williams-Ellis who was an officer in the Tank Corps in the First World War and also wrote an early history of the Corps. Bet you didn't know that!