_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Scratchbuilding a jeepney
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 03:34 PM UTC
A compatriot suggested this project. A jeepney is basically a heavily modified World War II Jeep. Only the front is recognizable and just barely. The rear has been lengthened to accomodate from 10 to 20 passengers. Some monster jeepneys are as wide as trucks and as long as buses. They are called the "Kings of the Road" and are used for public transportation (I ride in one to and from work).

This site has a comprehensive article about the jeepney. The Academy Mutt might make a very good donor kit.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 07:45 PM UTC
I tell you one thing I like the paint scheme on that Jeepney. This would make a fine model for a contest as I don't remember seeing to many entered. Good luck on this endevor.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 03:49 AM UTC
A better kit to start with would be the 1/24 scale Italeri Fire Jeep. It is molded in red, black and clear and is basically the same as their 1/24 military Jeep but with extra sprues for the fire fighting gear. The reason why I suggest this kit is that after looking at the various photos at your site, it looks like more civilain automotive parts will be necessary to easily convert this model. There is a whole lot of aftermarket car parts available in 1/24 and 1/25 that would assist you greatly (wheels and tires for one).
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 11:13 AM UTC
Thanks sgtreef! This project might take a LOOOONG time to finish but it will get done. The color schemes are wilder in real life #:-)

Thanks Sabot! I don't recall seeing this particular kit in the shops here though, but I'll keep both eyes open. Who knows what lurks in the deepest recesses of the shelves.
 _GOTOTOP