_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Workshop location
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 12:22 AM UTC
Although a workshop probably isn't exactly a tool, I wanted this question to be visible to unregistered visitors of this site and this seemed like the most appropriate place to put it. I would like to solicite some thoughts from me fellow esteemed board members/visitors.

I am currently building a house. There is a 10' x 10' area that is attached to the garage that I am considering turning into a modelling area.

I would like to hear from guys that work in the garage. How do you like it? My set up would be done similar to the article in the current FSM. It would have cabinets, a work top, lights, etc. It would be a finished area but would "open up " to the rest of the garage.

I think the temperature will stay stable enough that I won't need to worry about my paint getting too cold or anything like that.

My wife says I can model in a spare room that we will have but I won't have as much freedom to organize and set things up as I would if I had the "work shop" to myself.

Any thoughts/comments are encouraged and welcomed.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 12:30 AM UTC
I'm set up in the garage

I use a 6' folding table set up with a side 'bar' that is an old console TV now. The TV is set up to hold my spray booth. You can see two large shelves for 'stuff' I have a few 'item' storage boxes on the table (behind the paper towels)
In the winter it gets down to about 40 degrees sometime (this is NC). During the summer it gets HOT. I use a box fan below the work surface to keep air circulating and keep it cool.

Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 01:24 AM UTC
Hi Scott, well that looks only just messy enough .
You get a bonus point however for the stack of models which is leaning forward from the shelf, and for the levitating roll of paper towels. .

I should be so lucky to have a whole room to myself, I am lucky that I'm allowed to use the kitchen table. ( No no darling I will clean it all away later :-) )

Cheers
Henk
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 05:54 AM UTC
Henk - oh man - the kitchen table - 'what's for dinner?' Don't mix the putty and the vegies

- The trick behind the levitating paper towels - Paint roller jammed into the C clamps
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 07:07 AM UTC
Gary hated the garage thing when he was back home with his parents after coming back from germany. I did the basement for a while and was cold but it was stable. Are you gonna do kids soon?
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 604 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 07:31 AM UTC
I'm set up in a shed attached to the house, but it's about the same size. A couple of space savers I find handy are an old microwave cart I use for a spray booth, and those plastic crates that milk, etc. come in are great for storage, either stacked or attached to a wall. As for paint, every winter I buy some cheap (about a buck apiece) styrofoam coolers for my paints.

Art
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 902 Posts
KitMaker Network: 121 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 07:49 AM UTC
My shop is in the basment. I have a very large unfinished basement 75' x 32'. I took a corner for storage, display, and building. My work top is a 4'x6' table and a old bathroom sink cabinet that houses my airbrush underneath and paints in the drawers, my spraybooth on top. The display area is a 4'x8' table with my kits on it in plastic IMEX cases. The storage area is four 3' x 24" shelves that are 6 feet tall. I would include pictures but I am moving and I have begun to pack up every thing but my work table. The basment was nice place to work but I had to run a dehumidifier 24/7. My garage is full with my cars and it is to cold in the winter.
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 10:50 PM UTC
I work in the basement (but im in Ohio), If your in Missouri I would not concerned about temp..You might be concerned about humidity levels in the summer tho..my 2 cents
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 10:51 PM UTC
I too use the Basement (NY) have a Dehumidifier in use all summer......
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 11:53 PM UTC
After years of living in an apartment and working on a card table and not having a permant set up.. i had the wife clean her holiday decorations (read junk) out of the living room closet and I built myself a desk and shelf by sliceing and diceing an old sauder 6 foot particle board shelf.. with room for my tool box full of my supplies and a organizer for parts and extra paint. and some storage underneath.. I now have some major room to get creative an entire 4 foot by 3 foot for 12 square feet of space.. not counting any extra vertical space thats not needed for head room.

my wife now tells everyone I went back into the closet...

Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 12:36 PM UTC
hmmm... is it me or its just IMPOSSIBLE to keep or modeling area clean... i always end up spilling paint, or leaving the sprue on hte table until my mom tells me to clean it :S but iam gettign better at it ia mTRYING to get myself organized but its realy hard!

if my mommy would give me a whoel room with a budget to make shelves and all that... id keep its realy tiddy

Frank
 _GOTOTOP