_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
plz read this if you are from nyc, US
spectre
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 235 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2004 - 03:30 AM UTC
I was wondering where the ny model shop is? I have heard talk of it but I have never seen the place. It's in manhattan between 6-7 avenues on 21 or 23 st. however, the one time i went there the building was under renovation. However, what I have heard of it tells me that it is hard to find, but the man there sells the best modelling suplies for miles. If anyone could tell me the way to get to this uncharted eden of modeling I would be extremley thankful. I would love to buy real materials for the models instead of using home-made/found substitutes, which hardly ever work
Scunge
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 254 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 09:34 AM UTC
I would like to know where this store is myself as I live right outside the city/
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 902 Posts
KitMaker Network: 121 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 09:45 AM UTC
Spectre Where in NY are you. There is a shop on LI right near the train station that may be what you need. I have no idea about the one in manhattan you are looking for. PM me for the address of the one out here. Baseline Hobbies has customers from the 5 boros all the time.
mlr5250
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 3 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 02:54 AM UTC
Spectre-

I'm not sure if I can help you, but I'll try. I'm not from NYC, but visited there with my wife and son in April. My son and i walked from Times Square down to a nice hobby shop somewhere in the lower thirties. I think it was a little bit west of 7th, but maybe some landmarks will help you. I remember that when we walked south, Penn Station was on our left, and a large Post Office was on our right. When we got to the street the shop was on, we turned left and headed east. The shop was on the left (north) side of the street. It was a nice shop, with a decent selection of models, paints, adhesives, RC, and railroading.

Hopefully, this will get you in the neighborhood.

Mike
kealii21
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 6 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 03:34 AM UTC
You may be thinking of Hobby Squirrel which is located at 234 5th Avenue,at the corner of 5th Avenue and 27th Street. I think they are on the 4th floor of what is an office building. I've only gone there once, and they were out to lunch!
The other store in Manhattan that was mentioned is Prestige Toy at 131 West 33rd Street, which is just East of 8th Avenue, and a block South of Madison Square Garden. There are also two stores nearly opposite each other on 42nd Street, just west of 5th Avenue. They both seem more train oriented than plastic model oriented, but they have large collections of models, paints, etc.
Neither store, however, compares to Baseline Hobbies at 105 Main Street in Mineola. It is a short walk from the Mineola train station on the Long Island Railroad, which leaves from Penn Station in Manhattan. Of course, if you don't want to travel, there are plenty of stores on the web.
 _GOTOTOP