_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
How to carry/pack models
Paul
Visit this Community
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
entire network: 705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2004 - 05:55 AM UTC
I am going to AMPS East tomorrow and wanted to find out how you guys carry your models around, I used to just put them in a shoe box and make sure they didn't slide around in it, but is there a better way.
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2004 - 10:41 AM UTC
I to carry my models off in a box. But when i pack them, i stuff blocks of foam around them. I'm sure you can use news paper lighty balled up and stuffed around your kit. I once tryed bubble wrap, but it just did'nt stay in place well. Good luck on the show.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2004 - 10:55 AM UTC
I do the same as Mother, but I use plastic shoe-sized storage boxes (or larger for larger models). Also place blocks of styrofoam around them so they lock the model in place. Also, I leave delicate items loose (such as MGs, rotor blades, etc.), when possible, so they can be removed for transport. Usually gets there without any problems. Just in case there are problems though, I bring my model First Aid kit (super glue, dullcoat, tweezers, brush and a couple of common paint colors to hide repairs) along for quick fixes.

Good luck.
Paul
Visit this Community
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
entire network: 705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2004 - 11:28 AM UTC
Thanks guys, I guess I'm going to use a shoe box... already packed my First Aid kit, but including some paints is a great idea.

This is going to be my first contest, so I don't know if I get anything, as they say, there's a first for anything. I'm bringing my GAZ-67 (in my gallery) and an ASU-85, which I will post on this site when I get a chance.

Take care
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2004 - 03:34 PM UTC
the best method I have seen is using the top of one of those printer paper boxes getting a piece of foam rubber about an inch or so thick. cutting squares out of it to exactly fit your models. I also use low tack tape to kept models from moving around...of course this is best for afv's and ships ... planes i've seen them suspended in boxes
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2004 - 06:14 PM UTC
I put them in a shop- rite plastic shopping bag, and enjoy the challenge of re-asembling them on site..........impresses the judges to no end....... LOL LMAO
But the truth is::::: I use one of the silly weaved rubber gripper type mats you get in the home section of the super market on the bottom of the box, stops them from sliding around and banging it each other.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2004 - 09:46 PM UTC
I used Imex display cases to transport 2 tanks to Patcon recently.I screwed them to the base of the display case,and removed the top when it was on the table.The vehicle cant slide around.And judges will be able to lift by a nonmodel part to look it over.
However with my M-60A2,I had to drill a hole in the top of the clear cover,to allow the antenna to poke through. (++) (++)
 _GOTOTOP