_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Canada
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
7 Days till MMM
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2004 - 05:32 AM UTC
Countdown of 7 days until MMM (Maritime Modelers Meet) in Halifax.

Who is going?

What are you bringing???

Myself I am bringing a Tamiya T-62, Italeri Leopard 2, and a ICM BM-21 GRAD for armor, Polar Lights Klingon D7 Cruiser for Sci Fi and CF-117A Nighthawk for Canadiana.
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,698 Posts
KitMaker Network: 130 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2004 - 07:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

CF-117A Nighthawk for Canadiana.

You mean sci-fi, right?

I'm taking the friday off work just to pack the kits. Only going on display only this year. You saw most of them at CAMS anyways.

Hoped to have a T55AM2 done, but, I just burned my fingers so I don't think I'll be doing much modelling.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2004 - 09:11 PM UTC
Well....it is "WHAT IF", not like they have a catagory for that, but it would either be Aircraft of Canadiana.

If someone can build a modified Avro Arrow, with F-15 Radar, and tailpipes, fictional decals and paint scheme, enter and win in the Canadiana, I figured a Canadian CF-117 would be right up their alley...lol

Something tells me they aren't too keen on the "WHAT IF" aspect of the modelling world anyway, so I don't think it would matter what catagory it was in!!
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2004 - 11:47 PM UTC
Well ...I made it !! My Sherman is finished in time !! So I'll be bringing my M4A2 for the Pacific theme ...My Pershing and my Sturmtiger....I finish work Thursday night at 3:00 am(friday morning ) And I'm picking up the boys and off we go ..So I'll be the guy falling asleep around the tables Friday night ..lol I hope to meet you guys there.

Rick
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 05:27 AM UTC
Hey man, take your time....coming down from Quebec, you have a long drive ahead of you......

You don't have to be there Friday night, it basically just for early registration, and registration is open until 12:30pm on Sat. So you have lots of time to get there.

Don't want to hear of any modelers that went off the road due to lack of sleep!!
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 01:36 AM UTC
Ahh don't worry the two others in the car will drive if I get too tired...lol Now I still have to figure out how to get three of us ..our kits and our baggage into my Toyota Echo! lol We'll be meeting up with Claude Moreau who lives an hour east of here and will throw some stuff in the back of his van... Should be a fun week-end!

Rick
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 02:47 AM UTC
Well.. I'll be bringing 1 less model now. i just pooched my T55AM2.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 06:09 AM UTC
What did you do???? Is it really that bad???
RayW
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 848 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 07:20 AM UTC
Well good luck everybody first time in a couple years I can't attend enjoy the weekend its a good show.

Cheers

Ray
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2004 - 01:58 AM UTC
just heard that the show is now called "Military Modelers Meet"..not Maritime.

I guess the entries are supposed to be military subjects... which means basically no change except there is no category for cars. Woo-hoo! More space for tanks!

Viper - you may want to mention this to the cams car guys if they were planning on going...however.. their website still lists automotive non-military as a category? hmm.....
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2004 - 06:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

just heard that the show is now called "Military Modelers Meet"..not Maritime

You know, I heard rumblings about that, but I have yet to see or actually talk to any of the members referring to that.

Where did you see that?? I just checked their web site and it is still Maritime.

And their flyer says Maritime and still has an auto catagory.

I think it would be a big mistake to get rid of the car guys, they may not have the numbers that the rest do, but you are still alienating a sizeable amount of the modeling population.

Hopefully they will take a look at this year's turn out and decide if they want to scrap the automotive class. I know their numbers have been down the last couple of years.....but look at the weather they had to endure, all the numbers were down in all the classes. With a switch to the fall, I am sure the numbers will be there to keep it.

Not that I am an "Automotive" guy, I build the odd one now and again, but I would hate to see an extinction of the automotive class....would be like taking a step back I would think as far as the show goes.
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2004 - 06:40 PM UTC
The car guys already have a show in Halifax, so I think it was a bit redundant to have the same models out for a second show in the same city? Just guessing here.

Also, some folks ahve thought that the show was for Navy subjects only; this based on the "Maritime" part of the title.

It was in one of the Brit mags where it said"Military (formerly known as Maritime). Maybe they plan to announce the change at this years show? The sentiment was to always have it a strictly military show, I think after 7 years they've finally got around to doing that.
PEIRECCE
Visit this Community
Prince Edward Island, Canada
entire network: 117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 56 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2004 - 08:39 PM UTC
I am going, I am finished kinda repairing my entry which is a Canadian M113. I had the great fortune to drop it two weeks ago and watch parts fly all over the floor. It is looking allright now but there are a few things that I just can't get looking right. Oh well what can you do other than swear a lot and try to patch it up.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 12:19 AM UTC
Yeah I don't know.....as far as I know there is supposed to be an automotive catagory this year.....I would think if they are going to cut it out, it would be announced this year.

Although I do still think it would be shooting themselves in the foot if they do go that route.

I didn't know HFX had an auto model show, I know Moncton does when they have the Atlantic National Car show, but even if HFX did have a car show, is that really a reason to cut out the catagory????

HFX also has a SCI Fi model show, as well as a show out at Sherwater for aircraft anyway, not sure about armor....the Sci Fi show was like 2 weeks ago at the Fleet Club as well....should we cut these catagories from the MMM show as well?

gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 02:51 AM UTC
I don;t think they'd be shooting themselves in the foot at all. AMPS has a show that is only Armour, this one would just be military subjects. I think its a great idea.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 12:48 AM UTC
Well I'm starting to load up the car ...got to go to work and then heading out straight from there ..we'll see you guys tomorrow night! If you see a bunch of guys speaking french ..I'll be there ..hope to meet you all.

Rick
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 02:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don;t think they'd be shooting themselves in the foot at all. AMPS has a show that is only Armour

Lets think about this for a moment though. AMPS draws from a much larger population base than Halifax does. Even if it is 15% of your modelers, it's probably 20% of your walk in attendees and you really can't afford to turn away that many people at a show where the vendors make money from all types of modellers and there really aren't that many modelers, no matter how you cut it. Having the MMM be the single largest show in the Maritimes, is a good thing and anything that helps it grow is a good thing as well. Overspecializing will hurt the entire thing. There really needs to be a large general modelling show in the East. (At this point I think it's the largest regular show in Canada since Torcan has stopped being a yearly event)

Paul
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 09:28 AM UTC
It's about 20 car models out of 600 entries.... around 3%. Hardly anything for the show planners to get their panties in a knot.

I'm sure they have good reasons for doing it.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 09:54 AM UTC
They generally don't have that many auto models as compared to other catagories, the Freddy show routinely has more entrants in the Auto catagory.

However, they haven't exactly had the greatest of turn outs the last couple of years over all due to the weather.

If it comes down to a numbers game as to whether a catagory stays or not, Ships and Sci Fi would be the first to go as both of them together had less entries than automotive did.

Personally I would rather them keep it the way it is, with all the catagories the way they are.

Yes MMM is the biggest show on the Canadian East Coast, probably in the top 3 in the country as far as size of show goes. And I am sure that without Automotive, the show would go on and be just as good, I still wouldn't miss it, but why banish a catagory and a group of people from the show?? Just doesn't make sence to me. There is plenty of room for all facets of modelling.
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 09:59 AM UTC
once again, I'm sure they have their reasons. Perhaps you'll find out why at this show.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 10:31 AM UTC
Oh I am sure if that is their plan that it will be made public at the show. Weird that it was published in a magazine stating it.

Don't get me wrong.....either way, if they do or don't cut out the automotive catagory, I will still be standing in line to get into the show next year....just hate to see anyone left out. Usually an automotive guy that takes home the Golden Airbrush Award for best paint job.

Well actually got the GRAD and the Leo finished tonight....almost a day and a half before the show starts....which is really strange, as I am usually putting final touches on the morning of!!

Will actually have time to pack up the truck and get out of here at a decent time tomorrow!!!
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 06:42 PM UTC
At least 2 of my entries will still have paint curing! It never changes!
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 09:55 PM UTC
Well I made it back last nite ..Had a great time got to meet and shake hands with some really great modellers...Saturday nite at the Fleet Club was a blast..I hope to do it again next year! The organizers were the best ..(I'm not having another drink for at least a week) :-)

Rick
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 12:18 AM UTC
^^ haha, same here! I wasn't feeling too good on Sunday! Not sure whether to blame the Donairs or the multiple pitchers of Keiths Pale Ale!

It was great meeting they guys from Quebec, good to hear that for a lot of us, its still very much a "fun" hobby! And the guys from PEI, who are cranking out some serious gold-medal work. Its also good to meet the NB and NS folks again.. man, the weekend went by so fast!

Well done to the staff at MMM - it continues to be one the slickest, best organized shows I've been to. I like the fact they are not afraid to be innovative and try experiments with the show, allowing it to evolve over the past 7 years (holy crap 7 years already?!).

Also well done to Mark Bourque's 72nd U-Boat - simply inspiring. And thanks to Nick Cortese for making the 12 hour drive from Montreal to explain his JS tank techniques.
PEIRECCE
Visit this Community
Prince Edward Island, Canada
entire network: 117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 56 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 10:57 PM UTC
Glad to hear everyone made it home safe. I had a sleepy drive back to PEI and I was a little under the weather as well but I am sure it wasn't the food. Good to put a name to some faces and I really hope to make the trek next year ( I have to get of my butt as I had three years to put this years entry together.) Looking forward to seeing pictures of the show as there was a lot to take in. Every time I go to that show I get more inspired in my work. Thanks to everyone that helped me clear out some of my collection to make room for new products. I might try to do the same next year. ( Especially if Richard is coming ) Have a good one and start building for next year.

Cheers
 _GOTOTOP