_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Hair on Insect Model
MonkeyBoy
Visit this Community
Japan / 日本
entire network: 22 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 12:18 PM UTC
I'm hoping someone here can help me - got a bad hair day :-)

I'm trying to figure out how I should go about putting hair on the legs/antenae of a giant insect model. It's a 4 inch long ladybug and will have black hairs approximately 3/8 inches long. (btw, this is one of a series of Heller insect models).

I'm wondering what material is best and how to best attach it. I'm not planning on full coverage. I just want to pepper them around certain areas - probably spaces about 1/16 inces apart.

Any suggestions?

- MonkeyBoy
Sancho0409
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 145 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 12:50 PM UTC
I know you are gonna hate me for saying this, but you could use real hair........or sewing thread may work
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,088 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 01:05 PM UTC
Buy a slice of fake fur from a textile or leather goods shop. I got myself a piece for free. You just cut some hair from it, apply a layer of glue to your model and dip it in a pile of hair. Gently blow away the extra hairs and use a toothpick to make the hairs "stand".
This works especially for covering hair, I once made a 20cm tall bear this way...

Toni
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 01:25 PM UTC
Just out of curiosity, what's the bug model for? A dio kinda like gozilla thing? :-)
MonkeyBoy
Visit this Community
Japan / 日本
entire network: 22 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 08:55 AM UTC
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will try to get some fur and coat the piece in glue, then attach the hairs. Actually I did think of using real hair, but given my own head, there is hardly enough to cover even a tiny model :-) In any case, I'll follow up this thread with the results . . .

Quoted Text

Just out of curiosity, what's the bug model for? A dio kinda like gozilla thing? :-)

This is one kit of a series made by Heller. I saw them at the hobby shop last weekend. I'm just building it for fun.

- MonkeyBoy
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 09:27 AM UTC
How about static grass or take an old house paint brush and trim the brisles to the correct length.
I've heard of guys using thier own facial hair after shaving.
Get the imagination juices flowing.

Get some spray glue - the stuff is found at the hobby/craft store and is like hair spray. Spray it on, then sprinkle on your material. You may have to use gravity after it sticks to get it to stand up. Blowing across it to get the stuff to stand up works too. Some gentle coaxing with a tooth pick or probe may be necessary also.

#:-)
puyallup7400
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 93 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 08:16 PM UTC
What you need are individual bristles. What about one of the Testors plastic paint brushes, the wide brush with black bristles? Drill a small hole or make an indent and glue a bristle in.
Do they even make black fishing line?
You could even stretch some sprue and use that.
Heller 9403 Lady Bug. I like the 9400 Ants (Formica Rufa), my self.

HTH

DAve
 _GOTOTOP