_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Union Jack Club
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
the world at war
sarge
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 130 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 08:21 PM UTC
hi guys
i,ve been offered the series world at war on dvd , do you think this series is valuble as both research and inspiration
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2004 - 03:43 AM UTC
I remember the series was groundbreaking when it first came on telly, I think in the seventies. I would certainly grab it if I were you. There's enough film footage of every aspect of WW2 to provide inspiration although there are some scenes that show the true horrors of war.
october
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 140 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2004 - 04:47 AM UTC
I watched the world at war as a teenager when it was first shown on TV and it's scope and depth was indeed impressive as well as its objectivity and use of personal accounts. Since then such programmes such as Line of Fire and Battlefield have provided additional insight especially from Russian sources.Never the less in its coverage of such a vast subject on many different levels it remains unique. Much of the footage used is still being recycled out of context by vastly inferior programmes today.The series spine chilling music,opening images and ominous voice over still manage to convey the magnitude of WW2.
There is another series called Cold War which has been re-run recently and is well worth a glance as it cuts through ideology to look at the legacy of WW2.
 _GOTOTOP