_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Union Jack Club
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Vallejo paints in the UK
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 03:31 AM UTC
Just lost it with Humbrol and Revell paint big time, especially getting that stupid lid stuck to everything and paint everywhere except on the model! Not to mention stirring that tiny tin till I’m not in the mood to paint anymore, plus the agony of thinning it for airbrushing, and also throwing away half the tiny tin (just when you need it) because its dry!
I was actually contemplating matching my skin colour, so as to airbrush my hands back to the correct colour after using these tins!

My revenge, I bought Vallejo Acrylic Paints! I’ve never used acrylic paint before, my Tamiya paints that I bought just before the move, are still packed away somewhere.

Now for the questions:

I’ve read that Vallejo paints can be thinned using distilled water, is this true and does it work?

Can the standard be thinned for use in an airbrush, and is so what’s a starting ratio?

I’ve seen prices that vary vastly. I paid £1.50 for the standard and £1.75 for the model air (plus 15% discount for bulk) all 17ml, are these reasonable prices? If not, how much and where from?
steeldog51
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,114 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 05:31 AM UTC
Hi mate! vallejo paints are ace i think i use them all the time now almost exclusively !
the normal game colour (fantasy range) and the maodel colour (normal range) can be used in an airbrush , i thin mine with just ordinary water out of the tap it doesnt have to be distilled !( i normally go for around 25%paint to 75% thinner or water but this varies a lot! you ideally want it to be around the consistancy of milk .)
or vallejo them selves do a great thinner ,i use that too ,
£1.50-£1.75 ish is about average , and i get mine through models in motion , although just about everywhere that sells them do so at about this price !
good luck mate i know you wont be dissapointed with the move to acrylics!
K
golf
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 18 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2004 - 12:22 AM UTC
Eric

I tend to favour acrylics but I still brush and airbrush Humbrol enamels from those annoying tins. Whoever designed these devilish tins in the first place could not have been a modeller.

A couple of hints: Chuck a couple of small ball bearings (I use air gun pellets) in a new tin...it makes mixing, by shaking, a hell of a lot easier. And secondly, store the tin upside down (making sure the lid it firmly in place) to prevent drying out. A couple of drops of white spirit now and again also helps. Before replacing the lid, wipe it, and the tin lip, with a tissue to prevent build up of dried paint.

Cheers

Bill
Savage
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 03:42 AM UTC
Thanks for the help and hints guys.

Kenaz thanks for the new supplier ie. Models in Motion!

Bill, thanks for the tips on those devilish tins, only finding small ball bearings is my problem now! :-)
golf
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 18 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 08:29 PM UTC
Eric

I had a problem finding ball bearings too, that's why I used air gun pellets, but any small metal objects such as nuts will do the trick. You don't have to throw then away when the tin is empty; just give them a quick shake in white spirit then throw them in the next tin.

Cheers

Bill
Savage
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 02:12 AM UTC
Bill

Thanks, bit of muppetry on my side. Never thought of substituting other metal objects. Will get right on it.

Thanks again
 _GOTOTOP