_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies: Compressors
Talk about compressors.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Compressor from Walmart...Is it very noisy?
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 06:56 AM UTC
If seen a lot of guys post about buying a compressor from Wal-Mart (Campbell Hausfeld) for around 70 or 80 bucks. Is thing very noisy? I've been thinking about replacing my piece of trash Testors compressor that I have. Thanks for any input.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 07:15 AM UTC
do you live in an apartment? if so, there is a compressor online (campbell hausfield website) with a quite pump, but if you live in a house, dont worry about it, its a little abnoctious (spell??) but not to bad, it doesnt take too long to fill...you can live through it
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 07:37 AM UTC
I have on. In a word....Yes.
But it's livable if you live in a house as opposed to an appartment.
And the price is right.
Chuck
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 08:05 AM UTC
yes, the price is right, i love mine, its so easy to use, here is the campbell hausfield site. here

here is the quiet one: part number is FP2040
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 08:24 AM UTC
Thanks for the Campbell Hausfeld link. That quiet model looks like the one to get. Any additional "words of wisdom" regarding this compressor is welcomed.

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 08:38 AM UTC
Try to get one with a tank on it so the compressor doesnt run all the time. That will at least cut down on the noise for a while.
I know the ones at Target have tanks. They run right around $100.
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 10:42 PM UTC
Yes I have this one too, Great compressor..its is kinda loud...but you can beat th price.. I has enough cpacity to power mor than you airbrush too..Great for tires..etc
kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 678 Posts
KitMaker Network: 194 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 10:56 PM UTC
Just a quick note to reinforce what the others have said. "Quiet" is a relative term, as in compared to other compressors. The FP2040 is noisy, no doubt about it. However, it is a great little compressor and very easy to use. I have had one for almost two years and have had no problems with it.

Keith
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 10:58 PM UTC
i sent one over to Stugiiif in Japan...... as far as i know he's had no complaints in the BOQ housing...........
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2004 - 01:28 AM UTC
Yeah, Get a Campbell Hausfeld. Get several of the great big ones. We make about three of the cast iron parts that go on each of the big compressors here at the foundry. Like I said, buy several...

Boxes of raw (unmachined) cast iron CH compressor housings we made this morning...

Hey, somebody has to buy this stuff to keep me in Hobby Lobby money. Trickle down fellas, Trickle down..

Shaun (sorry about the threadjack)
jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 322 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2004 - 07:55 AM UTC
I have one of the CH compressors, with the 2 gal tank. I guess its kinda loud at first, but as it fills up, it gets quieter. This is only compressor I have ever seen or used, so for comparison sake, I can't help there. I like mine, and I picked it up for $75. Not bad, and with the tank, and auto on/off it doesn't run all the time.
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 03, 2004 - 03:13 PM UTC
Here is the skinny ...

Oilless compressor are loud, real loud so unless you are in the country not the best choice.

Oil lube compressors are NOT loud sorta got that thump thump thump sound of a boom car at the gas station.

Downside Oilless are cheap price wise compaired to oil lube cast iron compressors. However I have a oil lube compressor that is older then I am so why they cost more they last longer.

This info is on the larger home garage style compressors. 15-30 gal size. Some smaller diapham compressor are cheap and not LOUD LOUD they are loud enough and since they do not have a tank they run non-stop thus driving you up the wall with their noise noise noise.

So if your pocket allows get a oil lube compressor, it will out live you provided you lube as needed. Just remeber to put a oil and water trap in so not to foul your paint.

No oil trap is needed on a oil less compress as you would think but you will still need a water trap.

It is a good idea to drain your tank from time to time, let all the air out then when the pressure is zero, open the drain valve on the bottom and turn on the compressor to blow out any water in the tank. Turn it off and close the valve, if a tank is rusty or looks weak get rid of it. THEY CAN BLOW UP, rare but they are like a bomb going off if they do. So an oz. of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Hope this info helps,
Later
Dave
 _GOTOTOP